cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error in License Update

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All:

I do appologize if I am posting this in the wrong section. 

Essentially, our SAP HANA License has expired, and the system is not accepting the new license.  We have tried installing license with both with the script:

SET SYSTEM LICENSE '<license script here>'

and

Properties - License - Install License Key

We get the following message when we try to apply through the SQL script:

Could not execute 'SET SYSTEM LICENSE 'SAPSYSTEM=ABC HARDWARE-KEY=Y0123456789 INSTNO=0012345678 BEGIN=20120402 ...'SAP DBTech JDBC: [436]: could not set system license: 5503: nameserver failed to process the request;ltt exceptionFailed to install a permanent license.

Any clues how can i go about resolving this.  I realize that it complains about nameserver, but all services are up and we are able to successfully query the DB.  I am thinking that deleting the existing license and then installing the new license will resolve this, but it doesn't let me delete the existing license. 

Any and All help will be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Imran Khan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

click the "Delete License Key" button and then "Install License Key" again

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I was able to solve a similar problem with the license using this site.

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-31036

0 Kudos

I have seen this error when a license key has been previously installed and the new license key does not match in the following fields: system number, system id, hardware key, installation number.

These values can be found in the previous license file or by select * from sys.m_license.

If the system number still cannot be found, then after getting the above error check the nameserver*.trc log file, it can be in there by searching for "system number".

rindia
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rex,

A. If your current license key has already expired and

if the system is locked down, proceed as follows, else if unlocked go to B.

Use the operating system user <SID>adm to edit the file /usr/sap/<SID>/global/hdb/custom/config/nameserver.ini

in the file system and add the following lines:

[trace]

licensing = debug

1.Restart the instance.

2.Check the latest nameserver trace file nameserver_<your host name>.<port>.<filenumber>.trc, which is to be found under /usr/sap/<SID>/HDB<InstanceNumber>/<hostname>/trace/

3.Check the end of that trace file to find the installation and system number in lines looking like this:

Licensing    AbstractLicenseManager.cpp(00063) : Installation #  : "0110008649"

Licensing    AbstractLicenseManager.cpp(00063) : System #        : "000000000310474532"

Use the installation number and system number to request a new license key for your database (see SAP Note 1644792)

B. If your system has been unlocked with the new license key,

reset the licensing trace level for the nameserver to Default using the SAP HANA Studio as follows

1.As the database SYSTEM user, open the Administration Editor for your database instance.

2.Navigate to the Trace Configuration tab.

3.Find the section Database Trace and click on the Edit Configuration button.

4.Tick the checkbox Show All Components (below the component table).

5.Type the word licensing in the text field above the component table.

6.For the nameserver, change the trace level of licensing to <default> and click Finish.

In case that the installation of a permanent license key has failed, the error can be found in the trace file as follows:

1.Navigate to the Diagnosis Files tab in the Administration page and find the latest nameserver alert trace (nameserver_alert_<your host name>.trc)

2.The nameserver alert trace file can also be found under /usr/sap/<SID>/HDB<InstanceNumber>/<hostname>/trace/

3.Incompatible installation number or system number will generate trace lines similar to the following:

Licensing    AbstractLicenseManager.cpp(00057) : 50 likey_install_from_memory: This system's installation number is "0110008649", but there is a license key for installation number "SAP-INTERN" in the license key file.

Licensing    AbstractLicenseManager.cpp(00723) : TRY TO INSTALL AN INVALID LICENSE.

Use the correct installation number and system number to request a new license key for your database (see SAP Note 1644792)

Regards

Raj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Imran,

I'm getting the same error when I try to install the HANA license.  Did you solve this problem?  If so, what steps did you take?

Thanks and kind regards,

Rex

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Imran,

Can you restart your instance once and try?

What is the content populated in nameserver trace(nameserver_alert*.trc) file for this install error?

Hope the license generation is done using correct parameters mentioned in (SELECT * FROM M_LICENSE)

Regards, Rahul