Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

input history sorting in SAPGUI for Java 7.20

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi All,

i use

SAPGUI for Java 7.20 rev 5
(Version ID 072000040500)
vml2081, 720_REL, 1234092

by default this GUI lists first the 'latest typed in' entries in input history. i remember in a windows version of SAP GUI i used preaviously the input history always showed first the 'latest used' entries, that means if i selected #10 entry from history and next time i was on the same field the history showed that #10 entry as #1 in the dropdown list not the ones which were typed after #10 but not used recently.

so im wondering whether it is possible for the user to change the sorting logic of the input history? i could not find anything in Preferences...
or is it something Java related which can be changed only with a new patch/release if at all?

this way the history is more or less useless for me besides selecting my userID during logon

thanks,
a.

• SAP Managed Tags:
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

RMW
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Andreas,

in SAP GUI for Java, the time when a certain item is used, is not stored to not further bloat the history cache. Currently there are no plans to change this.

There are cases, where the display order of the history list of SAP GUI for Windows is preferable, but also cases, where the SAP GUI for Java way is better. In SAP GUI for Windows, users might argue, that each time one selects an item, the order is rearranged. A third option would be, to sort the list alphabetically, what is similar to what MS Excel is doing when entering cell content.

Two suggestions, which might limit your pain:

• In case you an afford to limit the history to 8 entries per field, you will get rid of the scrollbars.
  • In case you want to pull a certain item up the list, you can first delete it by hitting forward delete (for Mac users fn-backspace) on the currently selected item and then enter it again.

Best regards

Rolf-Martin

• SAP Managed Tags:
2 REPLIES 2

RMW
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Andreas,

in SAP GUI for Java, the time when a certain item is used, is not stored to not further bloat the history cache. Currently there are no plans to change this.

There are cases, where the display order of the history list of SAP GUI for Windows is preferable, but also cases, where the SAP GUI for Java way is better. In SAP GUI for Windows, users might argue, that each time one selects an item, the order is rearranged. A third option would be, to sort the list alphabetically, what is similar to what MS Excel is doing when entering cell content.

Two suggestions, which might limit your pain:

• In case you an afford to limit the history to 8 entries per field, you will get rid of the scrollbars.
  • In case you want to pull a certain item up the list, you can first delete it by hitting forward delete (for Mac users fn-backspace) on the currently selected item and then enter it again.

Best regards

Rolf-Martin

• SAP Managed Tags:

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello Rolf-Martin,

thanks for the clarification, i was afraid it is something i will not be able to change on my end.

it would be great however to have the three options you listed (last time used, last typed in, alphabetic) available in user preferences in future releases

i will try your suggestions too, however i started to use a standalone clipboard manager  and most likely that will do the trick for me.

best regards,

a.

• SAP Managed Tags: