cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

without sdm password how we can deploy a webdynpro java application in nwds.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We are trying to deploy our NWDS WEBDYNPRO JAVA application   without  SDM password.

Is it possible to deploy the application WEBDYNPRO JAVA application   without  SDM password ?.

Bez of my client is not provided the SDM password.

it is possible means,Could you please tell me the steps?

Tanks&Regards

Pradeep.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Dear Pradeep,

without deployer password it is not possible to deploy.

Let it be any release, 640/70X (where we have SDM) or a release >= 710 (where we have no more SDM but deploy controller), it is not possible to deploy without authentication.

Best Regards,

Ervin

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

SandipAgarwalla
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

what is the server and NWDS version?

go for a NWDi based developments. This will not require SDM passwords...Each developer can deploy custom apps using their own ID & pwd..

Steps

1) Install NWDI, configure Custom Track

2) Import Track in NWDS and do custom developments in the DC formats

3) Check in these custom apps in the track created

You may want to check with your basis team on how to install and configure NWDI..

Sandip

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Sandip,

Tanks For your are quick replay,

NWDS version-->7.10

ECC server 6.0 and EHP 5.

Tanks&Regards

Pradeep.

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
7.1?
i think there is no sdm in that version.
user who is administrator of the server can deploy with his own account.
SandipAgarwalla
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What is the portal server version?? 7.1???

Go for NWDI based developments, it will make life easier...Depending on Administrator would be painful, specially if you are starting the development as you will go thru multiple changes in your code..

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Sandip Agarwalla wrote:

what is the server and NWDS version?

go for a NWDi based developments. This will not require SDM passwords...Each developer can deploy custom apps using their own ID & pwd..

Steps

1) Install NWDI, configure Custom Track

2) Import Track in NWDS and do custom developments in the DC formats

3) Check in these custom apps in the track created

You may want to check with your basis team on how to install and configure NWDI..

Sandip

Let me fine tune this a bit:

This is not exactly true in this form. Even if you use NWDI, you have to specify the deployer password. I use the abstract word deployer, because on lower releases we mean by that the SDM, on higher releases we mean by this word the deploy controller.

The thing is that in case of NWDI you have to maintain the runtime system configuration where you specify deployer passwords. Of course this is usually made by the administrator, so from this point of view we can say, that the deployer password is transparent for the developer, but it doesn't mean there is no authentication takes place here when deploying.

SandipAgarwalla
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well Ervine, I didnt mention anywhere you dnt need a password to deploy. Of course you need, however the question is do you need the Admin Password or is there a way around??

Normally the Admin password (SDM/NWA/DB) is not shared with anyone except Basis Team, so as to segregare the responsibilities and also accountability....So a work around is to use NWDI...And yes for this, you would need a user Id and Password with a NWDI.Developer Role...No doubt on that..

Sandip

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Sandip,

I see, if you meant this way, it is perfectly fine.

Let me then -- for the sake of completeness -- add some information what to do if you want to restrict developers to do direct deployment. What to do this case if the basis admin don't want to give the j2ee administrator rights for a developer.

On 640/700 we have SDM, and there the situation is simple, if the developers are not aware of the SDM password, they cannot deploy.

For releases >=710, i.e. where we got deploy controller:

You need to remove certain UME actions from the given user. In AS Java either a user has permissions to deploy or it does not, the tool used for the deployment is not considered. Those permissions are contained in actions

dc_action, 
deploy_action, 
auth.all.all and 
dc_offline_action
These actions are assigned to the Administrator role, but the customer is free to create a custom role containing only these actions and assign this to users that should be permitted to deploy. However from the point of view of the deploy service, it cannot be distinguished if the client is CTS+ or NWDS, both connect to the AS Java over p4/p4s to deploy.

Document: http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwce72/helpdata/en/76/0b7e9619a7430b95d56edb969cf60a/frameset.htm

Regards,

Ervin

SandipAgarwalla
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hey Ervin

Thanks for the detailed explanation. it is helpful...

Quick question, so if I assign these UME actions to a developer - S/he would be able to deploy to the server without NWDI from NDS??? Or we would NWDI in this case as well (well, not too experienced in 7.2 version)

Regards

Sandip

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
you can directly deploy from nwds.
ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Sandip,

sure, it was always possible to do direct deployments to a j2ee engine without NWDI.

This is how developers are testing their applications before checking in the code (which then leads to activation , build, central deployment, etc.)

You can use NWDS to deploy directly as you can use many other clients for that (VA, SDM, j2ee telnet admin, etc. some of these are only available on 700, I just wanted to point out that nwds acts here as one possible deployer client).

Cheers,

Ervin

SandipAgarwalla
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Ervin..

yes I am aware that direct deployment can be done thru NDS without NWDI as well (Ep6.0. Ep7.0, EP7.3 etc...)...Just wasn't sure of CE7.2 version if it allows deployment without SDM password thru NDS.

Things change overnight in SAP Portal world..

Thanks for your help.

Sandip