cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question: Extract Data from APO to BW

0 Kudos

Hi,

I have some questions regarding the extraction of DP/SNP-Data from the Planning Area to BW.

Espacially I´d like to understand the sequence of the different process steps and the impact of the different parameters.

To set up the extraction, I perform the following steps:

1. Generate a DataSource in BW for the Planning Area

2. Define the field properties of the Extraction Structure

- Which fields are transferred is determined by the ‘Hide’-Flag in the Extraction Structure.

3. Define the DataSource Properties

- Parallel Processing Profile (created in /SAPAPO/SDP_PAR)

- Number of Parallel Processes

Determines the number of Dialog WPs used in the APO-Application Servers

- Block Size

Determines the number of Data Records per block.

- Block Size for BW Transfer

Determines the upper-limit for the number of records per data packet to be extracted. Means, if the upper limit is exceeded, multiple packages will be created.

4. Define the value of the Parameter MAXCONN in Trx SMQS

Determines the maximum number of dialog work processes used for the data transfer.

Question regarding MAXCONN:

Is this the number of processes used in the target system?

Example:

Block Size for BW-Transfer: 20.000

Parallel Processing Profile:

- Number of Parallel Processes: 4

- Block Size: 5.000

MAXCONN: 30

Is the following procedure described correctly?

The data in the liveCache will be split into packages containing max. 20.000 records each.

Each package will be again split into packages containing 5.000 records and the extraction will be processed by max. 4 Dialog WPs of the APO Application Servers in parallel.

At the target system processing will be done by max. 30 Dialog WPs.

Please let me know if I understand the process and parameter settings correctly or if there is any mistake in my description.

Thanks a lot for your help and best regards

Andreas

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

thanks a lot for your input.

One question is not answered by the notes:

What´s the difference between the parameters "Number of Parallel Processes" which is defined in the parallel processing profile and “MAXCONN” which is defined in SMQS?

Both parameters seem to determine how many Dialog WPs are working in parallel.

Is "Number of Parallel Processes" for reading data from liveCache and MAXCONN for sending data to BW and writing data into the PSA?

Best regards

Andreas

former_member209769
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Andreas,

Let me try to answer in some simple words and also based on what I understand:

MAXCONN is maintained for target system level in SMQS. When you maintained a setting in SMQS for your APO system, you maintained a setting for the BW system that is available within APO.

So, from your APO system to the BW system (or to any other system) you can only have so many work processes in OUTBOUND. Imagine that you are extracting data from 3 planning areas, so you used up 3 DIALOG work processes from MAXCONN (assuming no parallel processing).

The value that you maintained in parallel processing profile is for the particular process. So, instead of having only one work process for extraction from a planning area, you specified that you would have 10 work processes running in parallel for this extraction. This would make your extraction process faster. If you have multiple extractions each having multiple parallel processes, you would use up so many DIALOG processes from the MAXCONN in outbound. Your inbound also should match correspondingly in the target system.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Thanks - Pawan

former_member209769
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Andreas,

For the steps to be followed, I like SAP help:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_scm70/helpdata/en/e0/9088392b385f6be10000000a11402f/content.htm

Have a look and if something is not clear, you could ask a specific question.

I think MAXCONN would be relevant in outbound processing in the source system itself. Apart from this, other things mostly look ok.

Thanks - Pawan

0 Kudos

Hi Pawan,

thanks for your reply.

If MAXCONN determines the number of Dialog WPs in the source system, what is then the difference compared to the parameter "Number of Parallel Processes" in the Parallel Processing Profile?

Is "Number of Parallel Processes" for reading data from liveCache and MAXCONN for sending data to BW and writing data in the PSA?

Thanks

Andreas

former_member209769
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Andreas,

I am not really a Basis expert.

There is Note 400330 - Outbound Scheduler/qOUT
Scheduler
that would give you some more info on SMQS.

As I understand, the number of parallel Work processes should be less than MAXCONN.

Also, there is some more information in the below link:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/8b/e35f3cb7dd0c77e10000000a114084/content.htm

If you make a post in BW forum or Basis forum, someone might be be able to give you more specific answers.

Thanks - Pawan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andreas

You may want to go through Note 1403974 - Determining the maximum connections in transaction SMQS to determine Maximum connection set-up in SMQS. Other relevant notes and links have already been shared by Pawan.

Thanks,

Prasun