cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

out of memory on server

Former Member
0 Kudos

I added 2 nodes on my engine, but it goes down all the time. I suspect OOM. Should I add another one?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can confirm out of memory issue by searching (exit - 666) in dev_server0 file in your work dir.

If you find that node is down with exit code 666 that means it is a out of memory issue. In that case you

need to check all your JVM parameter in config tool for server nodes. 723909 will tell you the recommended value of all JVM parameter. Increasing server node will not help here.

Thanks and Regards,

Vipin

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The issue is that the server is AIX. I have the heap dump,nt sure how to analyse it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Urbane,

You have to analyze the dump using Eclipse memory analyzer tool. Please have a look at the following doc for more details.

http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/Java/Java+Memory+Analysis

Good Luck.

Thanks,

Siva Kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Urbane,

Please provide more details about the problem you are facing. Please share your system, server processes and memory details.

Thanks,

Siva Kumar

Benny
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Let me guess: Did you see an out of memory message anywhere? Did you check the logs at all?

How much memory do you have? When did you install? What happens if the server goes down? I mean which processes actually stop and what is the message?

Regards,

Benny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Urbane

SAP Note 723909 suggested for jvm parameter setting is for 6.40/7.00 systems only. If you are on 7.1 or above machines, you need to see SAP Note 1248926. When you face OOM, it is the increase of jvm heap memory parameter and not increase of server nodes will help. But, there is cap on the jvm heap memory parameter value that you can increase.

If you get OOM errors even after setting jvm heap memory parameter value at recommended value then we need to check which object/class is occupying memory and not relinquishing it at garbage collector. You may refer sap note 1289240  How to deal with out of memory errors.

You need to capture the heap dump and analyse it with the help of Eclipse Heap Dump Analyser. Detailed steps are mentioned in sap note 1289240. Hope this information will help you.

Best Regards,

Tapan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Check below note

Note 723909 - Java VM settings for J2EE 6.40/7.0

For 64 bit platforms (that means not only your OS but also your JDK supports 64 bit) it is recommend using 2GB: -Xmx2048m  -Xms2048m

Take into account while planning your productive landscape: for NW 7.0 (04s) there is a general recommendation to use 64bit systems, see note 996600.

Set the heap to 2 GB and add 50 MB for each server node for the dispatcher.

Also check this note

Note 717376 - iSeries: VM Settings for SAP WebAS Java (IBM Classic JVM)

Regards,

Venkata S Pagolu.

duncanspeidel
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Urbane,

You post is very vague and it is hard to understand the problem.  If you suspect OOM I would suggest reducing nodes not increasing.  I would also suggest doing a SAP Note search for OOM and your application.

Best regards,

Duncan