cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WM Material Staging Pick Parts Fixed Bins

0 Kudos

Hi,

We are trying to set up WM Material Staging for with fixed bins in our Warehouse.
In our Control Cycles we would like to use Pick Parts.
Everything seems to work just fine, but we have encountered one big issue when it comes to batch managed materials.
(First let me point out that all stock and batch determination has been turned off.)

The problem:
After we stage a component and try to do a goods issue in MIGO, the system manages to post the issue even if we don't enter a batch number.
SAP somehow seems to look for the material in the fixed bin and uses the first batch it finds.
For us this is an unwanted behavior (we would like to receive an error message prompting the user to manually enter a batch.)
I agree that the functionality seems logical if we have had Dynamic Storage Bins, but not now when we use fixed bins...

Question 1:
Has anyone had experience of setting up WM Material Staging with fixed bins for pick parts?
If so, is this standard behavior that the system automatically finds the first available batch in the fixed bin?

Question 2:
Does anyone has an idea on how to solve this? (That is block the automatic batch determination and instead issue an error message.)

I'm really hoping that someone could provide some helpful insights on how to get around this system behavior.

Cheers

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hakan,

You can control the Batch(system message) at the below path,

LE->Warehouse Management->Master Data->Define Control Parameters for Warehouse

Select your warehouse

(Notifications/Messages) ->Batch Missing(TR) -> select F for error and W for warning.

reward if helpful.

Regards

Sumanth

0 Kudos

Hi again, and thanks for trying to help me sort this out, I really appreciate it!

But so far I don't think we came any closer to the solution...
I will try to explain the problem with an example to try to clarify things.

Material 51054994-1 is staged using pick parts and to a fixed bin (A1-A1).
The material is batch managed, see image below.
Two different batches 32536 & 33948 have been staged to storage type 100. Total quantity 4 pcs.

When trying to do goods issue to a production order using Migo, the user sets the "Item ok" checkbox and presses the “Check” button.
The system response is to mark the selected line as “Ok” without the need of entering a batch (se image below).
If the user saves/posts the document, then the system uses the first batch found at the storage bin to issue the material.
This seems to be a very risky system behavior especially if you work in manufacturing where traceability is important.
(Pressing the check button repeatedly give four “Ok”’s, same as the number of pcs staged… after the fourth try an error message appears “No storage locations/batches found”, message M7046)

So the question is:
Is there some setting you can use to make MIGO issue an error message that prompts the user to enter a batch before the goods issue can be performed?
So far, the closest thing we managed to achive is to use Batch Conformation in the WM-PP interface, and set up the material with "Batch Entry" value 2... but that will force the user to update the production order with the batches before doing a Goods Issue, and that is in my opinion only a mediocre workaround at best.

Best regards,
Håkan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you want to make Batch field as mandatory, check the below path:

Material Management->Inventory Management & Physical Inventory->Settings for enjoy transactions->Settings for goods movement(MIGO).

For your movement type, make Batch field as Required.

Regards

Sumanth

0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion, but that is really not a solution to the problem.

The movement type is the same as we use for every goods issue to production.

If we perform the IM movement before the WM everything works (the systems displays the error message saying a batch is missing).

But if we do the WM movement before the IM (WM Staging) then no error message is displayed and no batch is required to be entered. Instead the system finds the first available batch in the fixed bin and uses that.

I'm still searching for a solution to this.

It would be really interesting if anyone has experience of running WM Material Staging with Pick Parts and Fixed Bins without this problem...

Best regards,

Håkan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

If you look into the configuration for the WM-PP interface in the Warehouse Number configuration you will find that there is a check for Batch confirmation.

This basically ensures that while doing GI for the Production order there will be a notification to specify which batch goes to which order (as there is no direct assignmnet between the order and the batch in fixed bin unlike dynamic bin).

However note this notification comes into picture only during the Confirmation of the picked batch to the order.

Regards

Sandeepan

0 Kudos

Hi Sandeepan,

Thank you very much for your reply

However I do not understand how Batch Confirmation could solve this.
We have tried checking the box (as well as the different settings in the material master for batch entry), but the only thing we could achieve was that the batch was confirmed to the batch even earlier.
What we want is to have no connection between the production order and batch, and force manual entry upon goods issue in MIGO...
If this can be achieved by using Batch Confirmation, together with some other settings, I would be really glad if someone could give some more details.

Best regards,
Håkan