cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PI handle big size file.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi expert,

My current scenario is from ECC to FTP. PI would create a XML file and send it to FTP server. But the XML is a little big, maybe more than 20Mb.

I remember SAP suggested message size is 1~5 Mb. Anyone could tell me if PI could handle such a big file? Would it impact the performance of PI server?

Thanks,

Kevin Song

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member184681
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kevin,

I agree with the previous speakers, let me add a few words. The message size recommendation (1-5MB) is mainly related to some scenarios where performance and data throughput are critical factors. However, PI would still be able to handle bigger files (messages, in general) - it just won't be optimal in terms of data throughput.

In order to increase the performance, you might want to think of using AAE (Advanced Adapter Engine), which gives you even better performance that usually. Read some more about AAE and best practices in sizing and performance tuning here: http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-16231

You might also want to have a look at a similar thread here:http://scn.sap.com/thread/2136824. The message size in PI (estimated 50MB) was not an issue there, the problem only occurred with BW lock table size.

Hope this helps,
Greg

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Greg,

Thanks a lot for your reply. We are using PI 7.1 and there would be a message mapping between BW system and File system. I would do a POC of AAE to prove if it is possible to handle such a big file.

baskar_gopalakrishnan2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That's good approach. Design interface using AAE integrated configuration and see the performance compared to IE classical engine processing.  Then proceed accordingly.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

baskar_gopalakrishnan2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

PI 7.1 supports up to 5 mb for the optimum performance. PI 7.3 provides better for high volume messages. I heard PI 7.11 also support file splitting huge files.  If your version is 7.1 and below, you might want to split messages during mapping to tackle this situation. Since you send messages from ecc, you might create report in ECC to send the huge message into smaller one through PI. This is one option.  But around 20 MB is still feasible using PI 7.1. This is not that big. YOu need to set tuning parameters in SXMB_ADM to handle this. 

Ryan-Crosby
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kevin,

Which version of SAP PI are you running?  I know that we are running on version 7.01 and have been able to successfully move files upwards of 100MB give or take in a matter of seconds.  Also on a newer version I believe 7.3 there is the option of sending a file in pieces. 

Regards,

Ryan Crosby

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for your response. Now we are using PI 7.1 and I think there would be a bad performance even PI would handle the big file. Now we are still in discussion with source and target system team to find a better way.

Regards,

Kevin Song

Ryan-Crosby
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kevin,

I forgot to mention that we were merely doing a POC with AAE to show that it could handle larger file transfers.  In practice we try not to have such big files but I can say we were able to transfer 100MB+ files without even registering a blip on the radar.

Regards,

Ryan Crosby