cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marking Correct and Helpful Answers

harishtk1
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I have just observed that I can mark my own replies as "Correct" and "Helpful" . I can potentially award myself 15 points for every question I ask. This explains the unusual behaviour of one of the posters I saw in the HCM forum - who asked questions and immediately posted an aswer and marked it as correct. Does marking your own reply as correct actually award any points?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member181931
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone,

Yes, as stated above, marking your own question as Answered or Helpful does not result in point assignment. It is still valuable information if yourself you find a good answer and want the community to benefit from it. And I find it funny to see point gamers do this within seconds, hoping to see their points total change, and be disappointed that it doesn't

On another note: Direct Messages are indeed meant for people who follow each others and are therefore "connected". We cannot allow DMs for everyone because of spamming risks. However, we the SCN Team as well as Moderators can DM anyone. So if you want to have a side conversation with a Moderator, first reach out in a comment like this one by typing @ then the name of the moderator (be patient as names start popping up), raising his/her attention. Hopefully you'll get a DM soon after.

Hope this helps,
Laure

harishtk1
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Looks like I need more discussion on Direct messages.

Posting a discussion in the forums is totally uselss unless you are a person who does not know the spelling of SAP and you can ask basic questions like "How do I start a transaction in SAP" and the first reply will be a person posting three links, and followed by 15  different people posting the same answer viz "type the transaction code and hit enter". The person proceeds to "like" several of these, marks a couple of them as "Helpful", but then forgets the thread, taking care to leave it as "Not Answered"

Situation is different for someone like me, who has a problem that has not been solved even after several hours of research, debugging and searching the forums. I know a few people in SCN by reputation who are real experts, and I am sure if I can ask one them the question I will get an immediate answer. However, I cannot Direct message any of them because none of them are following me.

How do induce them to follow me, if I cannot get in touch with them in any way?  In any case why should a SAP mentor, Gold Contributor, deign to follow me - there is nothing in it for them. Seems as if this Direct message functionality is not really useful - if it is only for connected people to chat among themselves, surely they are already in touch by other means - email etc.

ThomasZloch
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Did you try the "share" feature already? Once you posted your question, you could try to share it with a few experts that you know. This way it is still public, but you can maybe draw some specific attention to it.

I can choose among all users when "sharing", not sure if it is because I am a moderator, please try it out.

Thomas

harishtk1
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Thomas, but no, that does not work either - The other person has to follow you for any kind of Share or Direct Message.

I am trying hard to be positive, but I am sorry to say SCN is slowly losing all its utility, atleast for me - You can never get an answer to any reasonably hard question, and now it has become very difficult to find the content I used to be interested in. Although I did find one very interesting blog yesterday, more by serendipity than any targeted searching.

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Harish,

I happend to see a post in which the person who posted the question, answered and awarded himself Points, but when i checked his reputation the points were not added to his User ID, so i feel even if you award yourself those points will not be added to your total points.

Do check your points if they have increased.

Rgds,

Prasad

ThomasZloch
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I've read that while you can do this as original poster, it will not award any points to yourself. Please post a link to an example in HCM for double checking, or direct message to me is also fine. You can also check yourself by going to the user's profile and looking at the "reputation" tab.

Thomas

harishtk1
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

How do I send a direct message - Seriously, this place is very difficult to get around - took me several clicks to get nowhere.

This is one of the messages I was doubtful about.

http://scn.sap.com/thread/1665259

Doesn't seem to have actually gained them any points when Reputation tab is checked. It just seemed unusual that someone new to HCM posts a question, then soon after posts the correct answer as well.

0 Kudos

Hi Harish,

You can follow these steps to send a direct message.

Click on Actions on the top right side next to Communications.Then you will get the button to send direct message as shown below.

Regarding the Correct answer issue you were talking about, it is provided for the author to mark the correct answer in case if he found it by himself thereby help others to know the correct solution.If you have observed not all the queries posted in the forum are answered by SCN members.But definitely the person who has posted the query would have solved it by himself after some point of time. So he can publish the solution and mark it as correct answer for others to refer. It doesn't award any points to the author.

Regards,

Leon

harishtk1
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Leon. I had actually gone to that page, but backed right out when I saw that all it said was "You have not pending Invites" or something like that. One more thing learnt about the new SCN. We will get there in the end.

harishtk1
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Leon,

I tried it out yesterday - but it seems I can only Direct Message someone if the intended recipient is a follower of me. I think this means I cannot message anyone directly.

For example, if I want to discuss abuse reports by naming threads and persons, I would prefer I carry on this discussions directly with a moderator, rather than post them on forum - But I will not be able to do that, as I cannot expect all moderators to voluntarily want to follow me.

I suppose I am again missing something here.

0 Kudos

Hi Harish,

You are right. Sending direct messages to people who follows is just ok. I would not suggest you to contact the moderator directly for Report abuse as it is not the ideal and practical solution. When we have a process in place to report abuse, you may kindly refrain directly contacting the moderator for this. As each category has more than one moderator, all may not be available all the time. So the best way is to report abuse using the button so that any one of the moderator will pick it and react to it. It may also be happened that all the moderators are busy at the same time and may not have checked the forums. We cannot ideally do anything in that case as it is difficult to track the moderators' availability. So I request you to have patience till the things are back on track as usual.

Regards,

Leon

harishtk1
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Leon,

Patience is key.

Just to clarify, that I do not want to contact all moderators to report any abuse every time. - it is just to discuss a particular issue in detail, once a moderator has picked it up and asked for further details, as for example, Thomas Zloch did here.

Anyway, things have certainly become much more different and difficult around here, I might not be able to spend much more time on this whole process, so I will probably need to restrict my participation to reading stuff as and when I can find it.

0 Kudos

Thanks for your understanding, Harish.

Regards,

Leon

Former Member
0 Kudos

former_member183424
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Have you checked the subject for this discussion before reply ?

Do you really think that your query is matched with this discussion ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

former_member183424
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well, you can check my reputation tab. You can understand what I know and what I don't know.

Please read the document carefully