cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Migration or Copy ??

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello everybody I really don't know if this is the right place to post my question...but if don't please move it to the right place si i will learn for the next time....

aight here I go..

this is the actual picture...

i have my SAP installed on a blade server wich has a local hard drive (C:) and i have a SAN where my SAP database, logs and all the other SAP is stored is stored...

we just bought a ner blade center chasis and a a new bigger SAN...

i would like to move my SAP server to my new blade center, because it has 10GB connections....and move my SAP database, logs and all other SAP stuff to my new SAN...so i can give a little more space to our system....

my question is, will I have to request a new license for this, since its the same server, same configuration, same parameters...and will I have to modify my transports route, or anything else..I would say no since it will be the exact same server and same databade connections and same configuration...but you're the experts and i would like to know your opinion....

thanks in advance !!!!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

You'll need a new license if the HW key changes.

The HW key depends on the plataform: Note 174911 - Determining the hardware key (customer key)

Windows is the only that uses a HW key that doesn't depend on the HW. It means that if you move your SAP System on Windows to another machine, you don't need a new license.

Cheers,

Diego.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I 'm actually don't moving to a new hardware, because the server, physically speaking....will be the same....the only thing that will change are my network interfaces and that's it....

I havo no problem on creating a new license, but i thought that since its exactly the same server i wouldn't need to request a new license... I'l do this procedure this saturday night and I'll let you know if the result....thanks to all for your replies !!!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you are just moving your blade to a new chassis, then you shouldn't need a new license.

Former Member
0 Kudos

That's what i thought Jake....still I will post you the result of this movement.....

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well just updating and about to close this thread...i have moved my server and my volumes to my new chasis and new SAN and...everything went as expected...little details on the SAN movement, but nothing that stopped the process..it took us about 21 hours but it is now running without any problem.....well...running as it was running beofre ....

anyway thanks all for your help...

Former Member
0 Kudos

U need new license. Once I changed the hostname of SAP server, then I had to apply new license.

Thanks,

Asaduzzaman

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Juan,

If you are doing a homogeneous system copy to new hardware, your Hardware Key will change, so you'll need a new license. See Note 1349525 - Creating temporary licenses after swapping hardware.

You didn't mention the version you are migrating, but go to https://websmp103.sap-ag.de/support and look for your version and under installation, you will find the homogeneous system copy guide.

Using the system copy method, all config within the system will be the same. It will be essentially a clone of the original system.

There may be other ways to do this using SAN copy tools, but hard to say without knowing the architecture.

former_member182675
Contributor
0 Kudos

HI

The license - when you change to another hardware you need new license becase the hardware key will changes

Naor