cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EHP4 install on a MSCS environment

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone

Hope all is well. I am planning to perform a EHP4 install on a MSCS environment . Referred the master guide and install guide for EHPI, which has some information for HA environment.

However is wondering if there is anyone out there who could share their installation experience with me, like steps to follow , practical tips etc,

Any help would be appreciated!

Poornima

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

nicholas_chang
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Poornima,

Below are the steps you should look into:

1) Before upgrade, update your source kernel to latest version. Ensure kernel for ASCS, ERS, CI and DI in replicated over. if shared /sapmnt is used, and DIR_CT_RUN and DIR_EXECUTABLE parameter is properly set, kernel should be replicated over by sapcpe. You need to manually update if it is not replicate over.

2) Move all your resources (ASCS & DB)  to a one node, either node1 or node2.

3) Disable cluster auto-start service in microsoft cluster management. Pause the other node.

4) Remove unused profile

5) Start you EHPI on the central node where ASCS, CI & DB resided.

6) During downtime, you need to manually stop ASCS and ERS. Also, stop the DI on the 2nd node.

7) When EHPI peforming kernel switch, ensure kernel is replicated to ASCS, ERS. Do it manually if it is not.

😎 When upgrade completed, upgrade the kernel for ERS and DI on second node (if it is not replicated over)

9) Stop your SAP. Replace sapstartsrv, sapntchk, sapevent.dll & saposcol in /system32/SapCluster with those in /exe/uc/NTAMD64 on both node.

10) Download NTCLUST.SAR version 720, extract it and replace sapcr.dll, saprcex.dl and sapclus.dll to /system32 on both node.

11) install saphostagent in both node if required.

You can refer to Note 1050343 - HA: Post-Upgrade Steps for systems upgraded to NW 7.0x/7.1x for more info.

Hope it helps,

Cheers,

Nicholas Chang

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Nicholas your tip of upgrading the kernel before the upgrade is a very good one. Just for my clarity EHPI performs the kernel upgrade as well right?  Does it cause any issues if we perform the kernel update before the actual upgrade

In our case sapcpe replicates the kernel across for the DI and ASCS, so I am thinking manual replication is not required.

nicholas_chang
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Poornima,

What i mean is upgrade the source system - 700 kernel to the latest available because, if you read some of the sapnote, most of the error will cause by certain version of dbmsslib. You also also avoid all problem by updating the source kernel.

You are right, you dont need to manual replicate if that's the case, but worth checking to ensure.

Yes, EHPI perform kernel switch from you source kernel to 720.

You can read more on the EHPI planning and preparation blog 😉

http://scn.sap.com/community/enhancement-packages/blog/2012/03/28/sapadmin-ehp-technical-checklist-b...

Cheers,

Nicholas Chang

Former Member
0 Kudos

This info is very helpful...thank you , I will let you know how the install went

naveen_kumar1
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Poornima,

But the installation guide for EHPi says that as follow-up activities in MSCS configuration the have to use note 941092.

For the post upgrade steps customer just have to re-run only the two parts:

- #First MSCS Node#, and
   - #Additional MSCS Node#

not the rest. This will not harm anything the cluster, as in case
the group and resources do exist it will just skip the step; otherwise
it will install the new cluster DLL and SAP DLLs.

One more thing; if customer has an ASCS clustered, then theyshould run
the option that is part of the standard options from here:

-> SAP Installation Master
     -> <SAP Product>
        -> SAP Application Server ABAP
           -> <Database>
              -> High-Availability System
                 <+> First MSCS Node
                 <+> Additional MSCS Node

Find more extensive information in the document "MSCS Config and Support
Info for SAP NW04 and 7.0 Systems", at:

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/
        library/uuid/e0b8cd93-f1e9-2910-c186-86bfff3dac63

And the High Availability FAQ at:

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/ha?rid=/
        webcontent/uuid/b09d53ac-8b0f-2b10-6798-ecfd55894839

At last, for general information about HA solutions, you can also visit:

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/ha

Regards,

Naveen.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Naveen

Thanks again for your prompt response. Sorry I didnt provide all the information earlier , our ECC 6.0 system is already on a EHP4 on 7.01 Basis level. I am upgrading one  component  (FINBASIS) to EHP4 since it is currently on the ECC 6.0 EHP1 level.

After reading the note 941092 , I gather that this is relevant for systems upgraded to NW 7.0 EHP1 release. Am  I missing something here?

Regards

Poornima

naveen_kumar1
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Poornima,

Some of the important notes are attached here.

1321854  Installation of Multiple SAP systems in MSCS

1366281  DNS Issues with DHCP in Windows Server 2008 Failover Cluster

1348732  Providing Windows Cluster Configuration Details

1172679  Troubleshouting MSCS Issues

106275  Availability of SAP components on MS Cluster Service
101896  General problems for MS cluster installation

These notes will give you some insights.

Regards,

Naveen.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Naveen

Thank you very much for your response, these notes are for install on a MSCS environment. I am looking to perform a EHP4 upgrade on a already existing ECC 6.0 system. To summarise here are the high level steps specific to MSCS which needs to performed apart from the other activities.  I just wanted to know if there is anything else which needs to be done apart from the ones mentioned below specifically for MSCS

Preperation Phase:

1.  Disable cluster failover capabalities

2. Remove all unused profiles from the Dir

3. Move the SAP<SAPSID> HA Group to CI

4. Set SAP -R/3 <SAPSID> offline

Post Install Phase:

1. Perform steps in SAP Note 1432155

2. Set SAP -R/3 <SAPSID> resource online

3. Updating the Dialog Instance

Regards

Poornima