cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reduction strategy in activity level

0 Kudos

Hi All,

We want to introduce Reduction strategy in activity level for critical activities.

We have configured (Reduction up to level 3) and I’m able to see reduction strategy in network header and activity level, but system is not reducing duration in activities.

(Backward scheduling,Topdown)

Can anyone share the steps to be performed in project builder.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183879
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Reduction happens only when the necessary network lead time is actually more than the desired lead time. i.e. If the network takes 50 days for all the activities to complete, and you give the start date and end date with a span of say, just 30 days, then the reduction strategy will try to reduce the 20 days in various activities. If there is more than 50 days between start and end date, reduction is not necessary at first place. You can check this once.

Also ensure that your control keys at activitiy level and network profile are scheduling relevant with the valid scheduling parameters.

0 Kudos

Hi Krishna,

Thanks for your response,

I have tested by structure with three activities of duration 10 days,

I have maintained Network Startdate/Finish date with duration of 20 days with bottom up (top down)

So my activity end date is crossing 20 days and reaching to 30 days,even though reduction level is not performing.

I can see reduction level (3 level) was activated in network header.

Share inputs.

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Guru,

I believe what is missing is, constrained dates for Projecr start and end date on network. You need to set up must start & finish dates with network.

Regards,

Pramod

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member183879
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am little confused about your post.

1. What is top down or bottom up in NETWORK scheduling. These scheduling methods are applicable only for WBS scheduling. For network, you only have forward, backward, current date and so on, not the ones you are saying.

2. Ensure that in your network, your scheduling type is correctly selected (say forward or backward) in consistent with your network profile and then check the following.

a. Your reduction strategy is enabled at network header, all network activities

b. The control keys of all the activities are scheduling relevant. i.e. The scheduling checkbox is ticked on in the control keys.

c. Activities duration and their relationships are correctly mapped. Please concentrate on relationships and ensure there is no lag time between two activities. If there is a lag, that is also considered for network scheduling. The total of all activity duration and the total lag duration should be less than your desired completion duration. Check this extensively.

3. Once all these things are checked, find out the total network duration time, and then give a start date and end date with a lesser duration. Now execute the scheduling. You will see that the reduction strategy is activated for some of the activities.

Lemme know the results.

0 Kudos

Thanks Pramod and Navneeth.