Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EEM case studies and future prospects.

former_member184806
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I have done EEM in my demo systems.

I want to know if I can find any case studies for it.

Also what is your opinion about its demand? Is it going to be a very sought after functionality?

Do you feel it is really helpful?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member184465
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Vishal,

I did implementations for several customers. The demand increased once customers moved to SolMan 7.1 as there is a much better integration with all the other monitoring tools, e.g. alerting, ticket creation.

The question to be answered is who is the leading monitoring system? If there are already other solutions in place EEM will very likely not replace them. However in some cases we could use the tool to find issues which were not reproducable before and then we got all the RCA information in addition. EEM run in parallel for issue resolution.

Thomas

former_member184806
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

Is there any limitation to EEM in terms of the SAP system, like it does not work for any particular system or so.

I want to implement EEM on ECC , SRM,BW,SCM, and XRPM. Is there any limitation like it cannot work for any particular system.

Regards,

Vishal

former_member184806
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

Is there any limitation to EEM in terms of the SAP system, like it does not work for any particular system or so.

I want to implement EEM on ECC , SRM,BW,SCM, and XRPM. Is there any limitation like it cannot work for any particular system.

Regards,

Vishal

former_member184465
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Vishal,

the limitation is not even an SAP system. As long you have a single protocol which is SAPGUI or HTTP(s) you can even record non SAP systems.

The only restriction for non SAP is that there is typically no way to have the monitoring of the involved backend systems included. The backend will be a black box in that case.

Regarding potential issues with SAP systems for scripting....finally everything could be scripted up to know at my customers. For the full monitoring capabilities you should have the RCA infrastructure in place if you want to have the full advantage like end-to-end trace. There are potential restrictions for the agents if the backend systems are to old. However in this case you can still see the performance from end user perspective, only the backend will be like a black box like a non SAP system.

Regards Thomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

I have some  questions on EEM Robot. We are installing the eem robot in main branch office.

then we are using that agent calling into the solution manager we configured the eem setup.

is it right configuration? or do we need to install in the End user desktop or laptop or pc.

per suppose we installed the agent on end user laptop then how its working eem robot?

former_member184806
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Balaji,

I would say that you will get the best results only if you install the agent on the end user' machine.

Just connect that robot to the Solman as you do with the diagnostic agents of the manged system like the ECC or the SCM or any ohter SAP systems. Then in the configuration when you check the agents u will get the agent installed on the end user's machine.

Just deploy the scripts to that user and it will start performing.

Regards,

Vishal

former_member184806
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Balaji,

I would say that you will get the best results only if you install the agent on the end user' machine.

Just connect that robot to the Solman as you do with the diagnostic agents of the manged system like the ECC or the SCM or any ohter SAP systems. Then in the configuration when you check the agents u will get the agent installed on the end user's machine.

Just deploy the scripts to that robot and it will start performing.

Regards,

Vishal

former_member184465
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Balaji,

not sure if i got the question 100%, however here some thoughts.

The robot can be installed on a PC, laptop, server - doesn't matter. That agent need to be connected to Solution manager. Once the agent is visible on Solution manager you can add the agent/robot to the EEM configuration.

Once this is done the robot will be visible in the EEM configuration, you can use him for replaying scripts and measure the behaivior from the robot location.

The robot location should be close to an end user location in order to include as much network components as possible. You could use an agent close to your servers but than you wouldn't see issues in the network path between the end user location and the server.

Thomas

former_member210667
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Vishal,

Thanks for creating this discussion:

1.I had seen one of the EEM -Note 1357045 - attachment in this note) for VA03 trasantion  to record/edit and upload the script.What is the use to record this in SAPGUI or HTML?how it will helpful for Basis admin?

2.If RCA and SMD agent is configured i think it will help EEM to do the performance monitoring or any admin task right?

3.What is the main use this scripts - recording/editor and uploading -any example please?

4.Please share the configuration doucment  for EEM setup?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Neni

former_member184806
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Neni,

The main purpose of EEM is to report the system availability and performance data.

For example the transaction of VA03 is to change the sales order in the SD module.

So if I want to find out that this transaction is available to my end users all the time with proper performance time than I can use EEM to do this.

I will have to record the script for VA03. That is just record all the steps I  perform in the VA03 through the Script playback and recorder available in SAP systems.

After recording the script i will edit it in the editor. The editor will convert it as in a form which is executable by the diagnostic agents.

A diagnostic agent 7.2 or higher is installed on any end user's machine and connected to solman. The recorded script is then assigned to the agent which performs the transaction VA03 at regular intervals and gives the performance and availablitiy data to Solman.

Regards,

Vishal

former_member210667
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Vishal,

Its very clear now.Thanks

-What is the role play for RCA here in this case?

-Please share the configuration doucment  for EEM setup?

Regards,

Neni

former_member184806
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Neni,

RCA is needed for the E2E trace analysis data. To get more details of the performance we can use the trace analysis data.

Hey sorry but i cannot share the config doc. Do you need to configure it in your system.

Regards,

Vishal

former_member210667
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Vishal,

Ok.

Yes, i want do it on my system and  also i tryed EGI session but not able to register in the Mth.

Please help me here?

Regards,

Neni

former_member210667
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Vishal,

Can you please give me the steps for EEM-setup?

Regards,

Neni

former_member184806
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Neni,

i think you should start with the conifguration. Just follow the SAP documentation (link provided below).

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_sm71_sp05/helpdata/en/45/51fbdbd4941803e10000000a1553f7/frameset.htm

Regards,

Vishal

former_member184806
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

I am facing one issue while going to E2E trace analysis from the monitoring UI.

It says the user does not have authorization. I can access the same E2E trace analysis from the RCA workcenter, there i am not facing any authorization issue. But i cannot access it from the monitoring UI.

What can be the issue?

Regards,

Thomas

former_member184465
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Vishal,

there are several potential reason also depending on your Solution Manager Version. A good place for further analysis would be the server-log of your Java instance of Solution Manager. I see two options to continue if you need help - as this is not the thread for this.

1) Open a new thread with the issue (It helps other to find and join the discussion)

2) Open a message with SAP, provide all system information, log files, perhaps open a system connection.

Thomas

former_member184806
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

I have opened the discussion on a new thread.

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3191225

Also I have upgraded the java ST component to level 04 as there was a version inconsistency between the ABAP and Java stack. After that I was not able to connect the editor to the Solution manager. I tried the editor for SP 04 also but its not connecting. I have started another discussion for this on the following thread.

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3190391

Please do reply on that.

Regards,

Vishal

former_member184806
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Balaji,

According to my understanding you have installed a robot on host and then run http and SAPGUI script. You could run it properly and also got the scenario and SLA reports.

Now you have installed a new robot on  Unix system and you want to run that same http and SAPGUI scripts. SAPGUI script is running but you are not able to deploy the http script.

As i said this is because the unix system does not have internet explorer and so it cannot play the http script. This is the reason the option of http script is greyed out and you cannot deploy the http script to that robot.

So install the robot on a host having windows or a host having SAP Logon and IE installed on it. Then you will be able to deploy both the type of script on that robot.

The best option is as I said install it on the end user's that is may be your laptop.

Regards,

Vishal

former_member184465
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

HTTP replay does NOT require an Internet Explorer. It needs Java 1.5 or higher. For SAPGUI - yes you need a local installation as the robot is using the replay engine.

Regards Thomas

former_member184806
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the update. Actually it happened two times that the http script was not able to run on two different uinix machines. So i thought that may be because the Unix system does not have the IE so it could be the reason.

Regards,

Vishal

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

roland_hennessy
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vishal,

I guess the real benefit in using EEM is the integration of EEM in Solution Manager: Trace, Alerting, Reporting, Management Dashboards is all done under one system.  If you use Solution Manager for RCA, EEM is very easy to add and use it "for free". EEM will be fully integrated into the monitoring and alerting infrastructure of Solution Manager 7.1 so much improvements have been made wth this.

Regarding questions about case studies and the demands for the future you could try mailing SAP EEM team for their feedback on this.

EEM@sap.com

Kind regards,

Roland