cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selected Job Server is not running

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey guys, I have read through all the previous posts of users that were having this error pop up and I tried all those suggestions and I am still not able to get a job running from a remote connection through the comm port. Here is what I have done:

1. Verified on the physical server that the AL_* jobs are running
2. Verified that the Business Objects Data Services services is running
3. Successfully ran a job ON the physical server
4. Confirmed port 3500 is allowed on the server
5. Confirmed that DS program is a firewall exception on both the server and the remote computer

Could really use some help figuring out what is apparently not running.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Still I am getting the same issue i have SAP BODS 4.2.3 .549 in 64 bit Windos server

Client having same version in win64

I have read through all the previous posts of users that were having this error pop up and I tried all those suggestions and I am still not able to get a job running from a remote connection through the comm port. Here is what I have done:

1. Verified on the physical server that the AL_* jobs are running
2. Verified that the Business Objects Data Services services is running
3. Successfully ran a job ON the physical server
4. Confirmed port 3500 is allowed on the server
5. Confirmed that DS program is a firewall exception on both the server and the remote computer

Could really use some help figuring out what is apparently not running.

Former Member

Two way communication is required for working of job server on client machine. Please check with your network team whether port 3500 is opened for bi-directional communication or not.Means your client and server should communicate with each other.

Former Member
0 Kudos

John,

Two things....

You said, "Successfully ran a job ON the physical server". Did you exectute that job from Designer? If not, can you execute the job from designer on that Physical Server? If you suceed, can you compare the Tools-Options-Desginer-Environment screen with your local one.

2. Can you do telnet to that jobserver:port from your local machine and see whether its accessible or not? This might be the issue.

Naresh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Here's how I am able to run the job:

1. Through Designer ON THE SERVER itself
2. Through web console ON THE SERVER and REMOTELY

I cannot run REMOTELY through Designer. I get errors that "The Job Server is not working." I have confirmed on the server itself that ALL ports are open to ALL programs ALL users and ALL services. The firewall is OFF on there as well. Still cant get the communication to work.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Could you test the scenario? Have you restarted the Business Objects Data Services? Whats the login credentials give? Is it mapped to the desktop?

You can try a new scenario also - Create a new job server and connect to the existing repository. Check in services.msc, go to Business Objects Data Services and enter the login and password credentials. Restart the services and see.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yeah, I've done all that as well. I've changed the properties of all the DS services to use an administrator account, I've resynced repositories, all that.

I did a check on the BODI error I was getting, BODI-1241023 and a number of different help forums indicate that the problem is that Designer is talking to the job server fine, but it is not receiving a reply back. I have run the netstat and tasklist commands and I'm currently trying to figure out what they are telling me. Does anyone have an idea about what PID I should be looking for? I see AL_jobserver, is that the one I should worry about the port it is using?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Trey,

What is the environment you are on? what version  Data Services .

We had similar issue in DS 4.0 and we happened to resolve it by installing DS 4.0 SP2 and restarting the server.

Did you also check if the server is able to telnet client machine as server sends messages to the client via- different ports.

Thanks,

Vinod

Former Member
0 Kudos

When you login to the designer from your machine, you will see small icon (with Clock on it) at the below of that designer screen. Just put your mouse on it and check on the left side of the screen. What it says?

Naresh

Former Member
0 Kudos

And did you tried opening the designer (right click and 'Run as Administrator')???

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yep

Former Member
0 Kudos

I answered that one already...it gives me the message:

Notification Server Error (BODI-1241023)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Trey,

did you find any solution?

With Data Services 4.1 all goes fine with 64bit client, whereas with 32bit client we encountered the problem you described above.

I find also some similar discussion (2034738, 2041542, 1022601) not yet answered.

Here our environment:

Server (VMWare): Windows Server 2008 R2 - BI Platform XI4.0SP4, Data Services XI4.1SP1 Patch 1 (JobServer 14.1.1.284)

Client: Windows XP Professional 32bit SP3 - Data Services Client XI4.1SP1 (Designer version 14.1.1.210)

Thank you

Bye

Armando

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

we solved the issue.

With Data Services Job Server version 14.1.1.284 (on Windows Server 2008 R2) and Designer 32bit version 14.1.1.210 (on Windows XP) the Job Server record in AL_MACHINE_INFO needs to be fully qualified (machine_name.domain_name).

With Designer 64bit (on Windows 7) the connection is established also without the full domain name.

Maybe a bug? The lack of communication seems to be (by telnet test) from Job Server back to Designer and not from Designer to the Job Server, so what's the relationship with AL_MACHINE_INFO information?

Hope this help

Thank you

Armando

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Let me understand correctly. Your designer and job server on same machine and client installed on another machine right? So how are you connecting to the database? Do you have a user id for that?

Arun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yeah, we have both. The job server(SA2AIMS) is a VM here in the building. I have administrator access to that box and have installed Tomcat, DS job server, repos, SQL Server, etc over there. We connect through the firewall directly to the machine.

When the user logs in to designer, they supply a Sql Server account name and password. That authenticates them on the database and they are able to log into their repo. When they are in the tool, they open a job and click "Execute." The job server is the only one specified SA2AIMS:3500. If we click OK to run, the pop-up comes up with the "Job server is not working" error

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can you disable firewall and see? Also when you hover the job server icon, what did it say?

Whats your DS version? Were you able to telnet and ping the server?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Tried to disable the firewall and still didnt work..

When I hover over the icon it tells me "Notification Error (BODI-1241023).

DS version is 4.0, and yes I can access the server fine.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Trey,

You are using a vm-ware NIC set to bridged (not NAT) and can remotely telnet SA2AIMS 3500?
Checking with netstat -anb (b as admin will show the program using the port in the next line)

example: TCP    127.0.0.1:49316        127.0.0.1:33333        ESTABLISHED
[OUTLOOK.EXE]

You see that AL_JobServer is running?

/Norbert

Former Member
0 Kudos

There's some security layer between the designer and job server. Jobserver is not able to access the designer. Have you tried running the jobs from console?

Former Member
0 Kudos

One more thing you can do is go to designer, tools and options. Try to open the ports in the range given there and see whether it works.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yeah, doing that failed too.