cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is higher level item category ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I know that higher lever item category  will be useful in item category determination.

Determination of item category would be doc type + item cat + higher level item cat + usage

I know that for free of good items higher level item cat will be tann

but not sure , exactly what is higehr lever item category ? what is the definition for it ?

I searched the fourm and searched in google. but didnt get satisfying answer.

please clarify my dought. thanks in advance.

regards,

Babu

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member192719
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Agreed with every one.

Higher level item category depend upon the material type and itam category of the other item ( header item i.e tan for free of goods ).

higher level item category is the item category of the high level item. It controls the item category of the item along with sales document type ,item category group, usage.

basically higher level item makes the functionality of how the item should behave along with material type.

as explained above by sridhar, with material type norm item cat would be TAN

with material type norm, USAGE FREE, higer level item cat TAN , IT WOULD BE TANN.

you should have clear understanding to get this.

thanks.

former_member205493
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello, I've understand about the Item category determination and what is higher level Item Category, thanks a lot.

But still one issue bothering me, i.e. I've seen in lot of case of Item category determination we left the usage and the higher level Item category blank, and the the item category determination taking place properly, rather when I put the usage and the higher level item category determination get failed. Same thing happens in CRM sales also.

for example the situation like this I have a material A with which Norm item category group attached, now the the item category determination should be

SALES ORDER TYPE/ Transaction type (CRM)                      +    ITEM CATEGORY GROUP      +   USAGE                   +HIGHER LEVEL ITEM CATEGORY =ITEM CATEGORY
SO
NORM

TAN

then its working properly. So why usage and Higher level item category should be blank.

Please reply.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Usage is an option filed for use if you like to determine item cat at item level. This determination works with customer material info record VD51, VD52.

Higher level item category works with like BOM process. If you have, then you need to maintain.

former_member205493
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your reply.

So is this means Usage should be used when we need the customer/material info for item category determination, other wise should be left blank.

and Higher level Item Category should be used when BOM is there or there is any sub product as free good. or else if we have single main product we should keep the higher level item category blank. Is that so.

Please reply.

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

former_member209761
Active Contributor

Dear Babu,

Higher Level Item Category in simple terms means the item category of the previous line item

For example if your sales order have 2 line items, A and B , Higher level item category for Material B will be TAN.

item no 1Material A10 NosTAN
item no 2Material B2 NosXXX

Now this is not only used for FREE GOOD Determination, but when we need to determine an item category of a material based on the item category of the previous line item.

For example,

item no 1Material A10 NosTANN
item no 2Material A2 NosTANN

Here we can determine item category TANN for the 2nd line item if we have made the necessary configuration for item category determination like below.

SALES ORDER TYPE                      +    ITEM CATEGORY GROUP      +   USAGE                   +HIGHER LEVEL ITEM CATEGORY =ITEM CATEGORY
SO
NORM

TANN
TANN

Thanks & Regards,

Hegal K Charles

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks to every one.

appreciate your time and effort to clear things.

sridhar_v
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Babu,

You have clarity about the item category determination: which goes like

Sales Doc. Type + Item category group+ Usage +Higher level item cate.= Default item cat.

1. SAP reads the sales document type from the sales document in process.

2. SAP reads the item category group from the material master of the item in line

3. SAP checks if there is any Item usage that needs to be considered for item category      determination for eg: FREE.

4. SAP also checks wheather the line item is a main item or subitem to find out whether a higher-level item category linked to the main item will have any role to play in item category determination.

So, Higer level item category is the one which is taken as main item when such case arise like FREE goods and the resultant default item category for the free goods of line item in consideration in line 2 as sub item will be TANN.

In short what I feel is for the same material if it is in Main position is TAN so it is Higher level item category

and the subitem is in lower level so instead of calling it so, we just give it defaulted item category TANN.

Regards,

Sridhar.

jignesh_mehta3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Let me give a another perspective.

Say a Material is sold as normal item & also sometimes given as free item. Now the controls (Pricing or No Pricing, etc) for Normal & Free Item will be different for same material.

So we use concept of Higher Level Item Category. So if material A is sold as Free as Item then it is linked to a Higher Level Item & then will have different controls then when it is sold as Normal Item.

Regarding determination & reat all you also have explored many things.

Hope this helps,

Thanks,

Jignesh Mehta

bsivasankarreddy_reddy
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi babu

you understand is good , higher level item category means main item (header item) , like free goods

sale document type+item category group+usage+high level item category

or                           +        norm             +free         +   tan                       =tann

it means tan is the higher level item category , like same BOM material Check the below screen , high level item is main item (header item ) , this combination creation item like TANN , is  item item , when you create sale order for free goods , when you enter the maintain like tan , then it will come tann , item when come tann , tan is main item ,