cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performance Issues with NW 7.3 Portal

Former Member
0 Kudos

All,

I have a urgent issue that needs to be addressed quickly.

I have installed SAP NW 7.3 Portal (AS JAVA, BI JAVA) with SP05. The portal has very poor performance. For any Iview screen, it takes a long time to load.

We have configured SSO between backend BI system and the portal.

I have adjusted Java VM parameters as per SAP Note 723909 - Java VM settings for J2EE 6.40/7.0 and

Note 1044330 - Java parameterization for BI systems

The Heap sizes are set to 4096 MB

I have restarted portal several times, the minute Portal starts, memory consumption goes to 95% on the server.

I appreciate all your help and support.

Regards

Viny

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos
Venkata, Thank you for the docs. I think those are very helpful.
I already went through all the notes mentioned in the documents. Below parameter is set in configtool
XX:SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB=1000
Portal navigation cache is also enabled.
However, I believe my issue very basic. We are not even to the point where people are using portal and development has not yet begun. It is a base install of NW 7.3 with SP05.
As soon as the portal starts, memory consumption goes above 95% on the server.
We are on AIX 6.1 and DB2 9.7.
Nagaraju -
I have changed the log configuration from Log to Error. It is not helping much.
Please advise
Viny
HuseyinBilgen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If the memory consumption is high, there are 2 possibilities:

1. You mentioned that you gave 4 GB HEAP SIZE to each Server Process, how much memory you have on server and how many java server processes you configured?

2. There may be OS&DB conflicts with SAP's core components such as WDJ framework which most of the basic standart applications based on. So if the first question couldn't save us, we've to check what is going on on the memory. So you may need to dump the Java server memory to a file and analyze it with SAP Memory Analyzer

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have 11 GB of RAM on the server. It is only 1 server with App and DB.

in TOPAS, I see

%Computational memory 95%

% Non Comp memory 3%

% Client 3 %

Paging is configured as 30 GB and hardly of it is used.

What are the steps to dump java server memory and analyse with memory analyser ?

Thanks

Viny

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

hemanth2
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Dear Viny,

Hope you are doing good.

Actually, without checking the memory usage, it is very difficult to solve such issues.

Perhaps 1 server node is not enough. For this particular reason, SAP has developed the Quick Sizer
(which is a Web-based tool). This is available free of cost for customers from:

http://service.sap.com/quicksizer
and
http://service.sap.com/sizing

You will be able to identify whether more hardware/ server nodes etc. are needed and resize the server accordingly. With the Quick Sizer you can translate business requirements into technical requirements. Simply fill in the online questionnaire, an up-to-date survey that is based on business-oriented figures. The results you obtain can help you select an economically balanced system that matches your company's business goals.

If enough RAM is available, do try to add another node with 2-3 GB heap. Also make sure that there are enough free threads on the engine. Check the below note:

1016241 - J2EE Engine hangs because of unsufficient system threads

Make sure that there is minimum 350 application threads and 100 system threads configured on the server. As you are aware, it is the java threads that are responsible for the actual carrying out of the server tasks, akin to the ABAP work processes. For the thread usage, please have a look at the SAP note: 1625458 - How to find the status of the threads being used by the J2EE server.

However, if there is a memory leak , generate the heap dump so that we can pin point on the application causing this:

SAP Note No. 1004255- How to create a full HPROF heap dump of J2EE Engine

Thank you and have a nice day :).

former_member185864
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Viny,

Portal performance is depending on various factors. Is your portal is generating more logs in the logs files like Default trace? If yes, Please check the Log Configurator in Visual Admin and check the lot trace level.

If you done setup Log configuration at "Info" level it will create more logs for every mouse click. So please adjust this to "Error" level or " Warning" level. Thanks.

Nagaraju

HuseyinBilgen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Viny,

What is your platform (OS+DB)?