cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project Progress

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear experts,

I have a project with network activities where all the work are done by vendor (external activity)

If I want to track the progress on milestone basis, what is the simplest method to achieve it?

I am thinking of just using milestone (attached to WBS of each phase) then update the actual dates and POC manually then analyze the result on trx CNPAWB.

Could anyone please give some comment or throw other ideas because I never done a project where 100% of the work is done externally

Thank you

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Find out how the vendor would be reporting the progress? Milestone method can be used if your payments to vendor are wrt specific milestones. If the vendor is reporting progress in terms of %completion you may use POC method. if you are using EVM for monitoring the project make sure whatever method you use should also complement evm calculations.

rgds

saurabh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Saurabh  and Ananthapadmanaban, thanks for your response, really appreciate it.

The vendor will be reporting the progress based on the milestone with predefined weighting (e.g.: after phase 1 is completed, the POC would be 25% etc.).

However, the terms of payment might be different from the milestone, for example: even though the phase 1 is finished, the invoicing is not done until phase 2 is completed (POC 50%)

So there will be a point where the POC on milestone doesn’t match the payment progress, but the requirement is to monitor the actual completion (reflected on milestone progress) instead of progress based on cost/payments.

Does it still make sense to use milestone if the cost and actual work doesn’t have constant relationship?

As for Earned Value, there is no requirement to perform EVA

former_member230675
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think better to go for Project Progress Analysis and use measurement method "Estimation". Please read SAP help to know more about this measurement method.

Or you can go for Progress Tracking, as you are not concerned with EVA.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you are interested to monitor progress of activities being performed by vendor and no other purposes, then you can acheive your requirement using milestones. You can keep updating the progress of work progressively againt field "Percentage of completion" on overview screen of MST. This would be your actual progress acheived by your vendor and can be monitored in tac - CNPAWB. The missing point here is planned data. Hope this work out will certainly meet your requirement.

Let me know if you have more thoughts on this.

Regards,

Sudhakar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Sudhakar and Abdul Khader, for giving very valuable input.

I will consider the possibility of using Estimation method, it is also a simple method to determine POC.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi

you can check with CNE5 transaction also