cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storing date fields in SAP HANA for optimal data load and report performance?

rama_shankar3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Guys:

Depending on the source of the data for SAP HANA, the date field type declaration is declared either as a string / timestamp / date and time as 2 separate fields.

As an example if we import data from SAP ECC using SLT into SAP HANA dates are converted into strings by default and we can tweak it as needed.

Below is one scenario where I loaded date field from a flat file into SAP HANA:

Create column table sales.sales_fact(region_id integer, item_id integer, sales_amount double, order_dt timestamp);

The date format in the insert statement looks like this:

INSERT INTO sales.sales_fact  (region_id , item_id , sales_amount,  order_date ) values (1,2,10.5, '4/21/2009 2:25:53 PM')

Requests: What has your experiences been with loading date and time fields into SAP HANA with high volume data ?

Thanks,

Rama Shankar

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member182277
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rama,

I loaded the around 4 million of data through flat file (.csv file).

I loaded the file using Control file that is created in the Linux and data is successfully loaded.

Regards,

Neha

rama_shankar3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What was the format of your date and time field?

rama_shankar3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Neha:

I am able to load data with date fields pretty quickly. No issues loading data. I just have not benchmarked high volumes yet.

I am trying to get an in-depth understanding on the preferred format to load to date and time fields into SAP HANA for optimal performance.

Based on recent research, I feel that the DATE and TIME data type will be better. I will be trying this out soon. Have you used DATE and TIME data types for date in your load?

Let me know what format, if you used anything other than the format I mentioned above.

Thanks,

Rama

former_member182277
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Rama,

I used simple data and time functionality while loading.

But if you have other requirement also like in other format you need to load the data then please go to

SAP HANA Studio -> Catalog -> _SYS_BI -> Tables -> M_FISCAL_CALENDAR / M_TIME_DIMENSION

You can see the definition and data for the tables. That will give you the better understanding like when which data type need to be used while loading the data.

Hope it is useful for you.

Regards,

Neha

rama_shankar3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Neha:

Thanks for your response.

Which format did you use? Please can you share the  sample create table and insert SQL taht you used in your scenario for your date usage like I have done above.

Also, do not miss John's blog- that is Awesome...

You did bring up another topic all together different from this one on the fical calendar usage / customization - which a BIGGIE...I will research and get back to the HANA gurus if I have questions on how to use the fiscal calendar topic.

Thanks.

Rama

former_member182277
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Rama,

Please find the below code:

insert into "<schema_name>"."<table_name>" values ('00001', '00002', '00003', '1996-01-02 00:00:00.0')

I used data type as timestamp.

Hope it is useful.

Regards, Neha

rama_shankar3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Neha:

Thanks.

You are using the same format that I have mentioned above. If you read John's blog ( see link from John below) you will understand that this is not the best optimized way of loading date and time into SAP HANA when it is high volume. It is my understanding that SAP HANA prefers non-string data types when it comes to fact tables.

http://scn.sap.com/community/in-memory-business-data-management/blog/2012/03/20/inside-sap-hana--opt...

Rama

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Neha/Rama,

Greetings!

Request your help on a similar issue that I am facing.

Scenario: I have been given a CREATE TABLE script of Oracle as below:

CREATE TABLE PD_PRODUCT

(  PRODUCT_ID varchar(256) NOT NULL,  DATALOAD_TIME DATETIME DEFAULT GETDATE() NOT NULL );

I replace this with the following in HANA Studio:

CREATE TABLE PD_PRODUCT

(  PRODUCT_ID varchar(256) NOT NULL,  DATALOAD_TIME TIMESTAMP DEFAULT NOW() NOT NULL );

Requirement: To update the DATALOAD_TIME column with DEFAULT values of current timestamp whenever data gets loaded (this is my understanding based on the original script with GETDATE() what it tries to achieve.)

I have tried swaping NOT NULL with DEFAULT and all such combinations, use CURRENT_TIMESTAMP, etc. but these won't work. I tried to search if we can even use NOW() in CREATE table statement but did not find anything which says "NO". So I am still figuring out a way to do this.

Request your help.

Prior thanks!

Regards,

Kunal Gandhi

rama_shankar3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

kunal:

You will have to use:

CURRENT_TIMESTAMP (if you need date and time) OR

CURRENT_DATE ( if you need date only)

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Rama

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rama,

I have already tried that and it does not work in the CREATE TABLE statement.

Regards,

Kunal Gandhi

rama_shankar3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Kunal:

I have not used this default option myself. I am busy with a go-live so no time to try.

For time being, please try using a insert trigger with the earlier options that I mentioned above.

When time permits, I will research this for you.

Regards,

Rama

former_member184713
Participant
0 Kudos

Were you able to get the current_timestamp work as a default value in the CREATE TABLE ? That would be really useful for me too.

Former Member
0 Kudos

No I was not. Let me know if you find a way.

former_member184768
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Keven,

Not sure which version of HANA are you currently on, but I tried the following and it works for me. I am on revision 49.

create table ty (a int, b timestamp default current_timestamp)

insert into ty (a) values (1);

insert into ty (a) values (2);

insert into ty (a) values (3);

select * from ty

Regards,

Ravi

former_member184713
Participant
0 Kudos

Ho I see, That means that the default is partially working.

I take your example :

create ROW table ty (a int, b timestamp default current_timestamp)

insert into ty (a) values (2);

insert into ty (a) values (3);

It work (rev 41). Create table is defaulting to Row table.

Column :

create COLUMN table ty (a int, b timestamp default current_timestamp)

Could not execute 'insert into ty (a) values (1)'

SAP DBTech JDBC: [2048]: column store error: [1513] TableUpdate failed

insert into ty (a,b) values (1, current_timestamp);

Statement 'insert into ty (a,b) values (1, current_timestamp)' successfully executed in 2 ms 940 µs  - Rows Affected: 1

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Take a look at my blog - I am loading 3.7bn rows of time/data data in 73 minutes.

http://scn.sap.com/community/in-memory-business-data-management/blog/2012/03/20/inside-sap-hana--opt...

rama_shankar3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks John.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi John,

I'm not having luck with the link - do you have an updated one?

Thanks,

Jody

Former Member
0 Kudos

Here you go - looks like they changed all the links for that forum.

http://scn.sap.com/community/hana-in-memory/blog/2012/03/20/inside-sap-hana--optimising-data-load-pe...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Great thanks!