cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring BOM as PDS/ Phantom Assembly.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have two questions:

1. CFM1 has an option of BOM, looks like BOMs can be transferred AS PDS to APO. However, when i try to do this the BOM input component does not come in the PDS. Is there any special requirement here?

2. What are Phantom assemblies? Are they only second level components in a Multilevel BOM or can they be the parent components themselves and transfer demands directly on the input components.?

Regards,

Shiva

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member209769
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Shivaditya,

I have not worked on this scenario, but could find some info on this. Let me share it:

1) I am sure that you would have read the F1 help on BOM selection in CFM1:

"The material BOM filter object can only be used in connection with the production data structure (iPPE) and it is used to map phantom assemblies. Only those bills of material are transferred for materials for which no production production versions have been created."

So, the BOM selection in CFM1 seems to be relevant only to phantom assemblies.

2) Phantom assembly is a kind of special procurement in R/3. Note 436395 - R/3 -> APO:
Transferring phantom assemblies
talks about the CIF for phantom assemblies. (I attached the contents of this note in notepad format as SCN didn't allow attaching pdf).

I found the following links helpful to understand about phantom assemblies:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_46c/helpdata/en/f4/7d2b5f44af11d182b40000e829fbfe/content.htm

http://www.erpgreat.com/production/what-exactly-is-a-phantom-item-or-assembly-means.htm

If you would need more information about phantom assembly, it would make sense to post in ERP-PP forum.

PS: If we just need a BOM in APO, we normally create a production version in R/3 having only BOM and no routing. The PDS created in APO after CIF would then only have the BOM, and no activities. This could be used if we don't want to have any activities in APO for this version, but we want to see the component requirements in APO through BOM explosion.

Thanks - Pawan

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shivaditya / all,

Depends on what is your planning process the PDS can be for SNP or PPDS. You can have just 1 SKU (the parent) on APO side and the system will create the PDS for this SKU. For this SKU the system will create a SNP PL-ORD (with PDS SNP) or an PL-ORD (with PDS PPDS) and for components (on R3 side) will create dependent demand (they are PD and they will be planned by MRP).

So, if you want to plan multiple levels of the BOM you need to transfer them (components) like materials and then you need to transfer again the PDS (parent) to take in consideration the others transfered SKU.

The option BOM is for PHANTOM (or iPPE). If you have prod.version for phantoms you will not able to transfer them on APO side. First you need to delete them and then you will be able to see them in the selection (check F1 at BOM level - the help note was adeed by SAP after I found my self the issue).

The transfered BOM wil be like a PDS (SNP or PPDS) on APO side.

To take in consideration the BOM you need to transfer again the PDS (of the parent).

You need to pay attention at SNP or PPDS. THe PDS and the PHANTOM needs to be created for the same PDS type (SNP or PPDS).

Thanks, Marius

aparna_ranganathan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes , you can create PDS in APO by transferring the BOM from R/3. The process has been working for us without any issues . Did you choose the PDS type as SNP? No special settings are required for the transfer.

Thanks

Aparna

Former Member
0 Kudos

Aprana, just to confirm (Im not sure if I was clear in my post).. you are transferring BOMs to APO as PDS without using Production Versions or routings.. by using the BOM check box in cfm1 and not PDS?

I tried using both SNP as well as PPDS PDS options but got no input components in both cases.

Regards,

Shiva

aparna_ranganathan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I dont have a Production version. But i do have a routing. Sorry forgot to mention that in the previous post