cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with Instance Number while reinstalling Solution Manager 7.1

0 Kudos

Hello,

I'm currently trying to install Solution Manager 7.1.

On the machine where i want to install the new Solution Manager was running a Solution Manager 7.0 before.  If I'm now trying to use the same Instance numbers (70/71 in our case here)  the sapinst tells me that those instance numbers are already in use.

Where's that information about the Instance numbers stored ?!?  I'm going to run the Solution Manager on SLES 11 / Oracle 11g. 

Are there any "hidden" files where SAP stores Information about (formerly) used Instance numbers ?

Thanks a lot for your help !

Best regards

Christian

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Christian,

Have you checked the /etc/services file to mak sure there are no SAP services for 70/71?

0 Kudos

Hi Chris,

i checked the /etc/services but didn't find any entry for a sapservice...

there are several versions of services (services.X) - do you think i should remove the ones not used ?

are there any other places where whose information are stored ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Did you uninstall the previous SolMan 7.0 instance via SAPInst? Perhaps the manual uninstall does not remove all the SAP services. Also check /usr/sap/sapservices which contain definitions of the old instances.

Regards,

Srikishan

nicholas_chang
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Have perform the complete uninstallation with SAPINST? have you housekeep all your old SOLMAN folder? eg: /sys/profile?

Thanks,

nicholas chang

0 Kudos

Hi,

unfortunaltely I could not use sapinst as the previous solman was "screwed up".

i definitely found entries in /ertc/services and removed them. Thanks for this advice!

But sapinst still moans that there are existing Instances...  I'll go on searching...

regards,

christian

0 Kudos

hi,

I did remove every content from the directories sapinst creates while install-process. i did at least found some files that still were there. But nothing concerning the issues with the instance numbers.

regards,

christian    

Former Member
0 Kudos

Christian,

Sorry I did not get back with you earlier.  Is the issue corrected?  My experience with installation failure indicating previous SAP SID's is usually the /etc/services entries were not cleaned up.

0 Kudos

Hi Chris,

the issue is solved as i mentioned below. i guess the main problem was the /etc/services!  Thanks for your help so far  !

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

I did some more investigations and it was definitely the /etc/services

after clearing up the /etc/services and a reboot everything worked fine !