cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Record Stuck in workflow, send email

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello experts,

How we can setup an email for all records which got stuck in workflow?

Scenario: For every record update, workflow is triggered. once 1st workflow is over, i'll call 2nd workflow. There are some instances where record got stuck in workflow and no one notices.

Requirement: Is it possible to generate an email for a record which got stuck in workflow and due to which condition?

Rgds,

Gaurav

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

This can be achieved using a Java program. Create a scheduler which runs on workflow tables (at database level) and check if any record stuck. Send an email accordingly.

I understand that it is not feasible to generate emails from workflow when a record stuck.

Thanks all for your response..

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gaurav,

As rightly suggested above,you can also set expiry notifications for individual WF steps giving a optimal time-period.But here you wont know that if WF is in error or is just waiting for approval etc.Good part is you dont require any development in this case.

The issue here can be you can end up with too many Notification mails if you set a low time-period and if number of records in WF is huge.Carefully setting this can help minimize this risk.

So you can take a call on this.

Thanks,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Gaurav,

You can have Notification defined at almost every step in a Workflow so that when a record's process/Approval/Validation etc are pending by the User for a Long time (days/Hours?weeks) as defined in the WF OR if a step has exceded x number of iterations an email is triggered.

This email will contain the Following data

1. Assignees 2. Job 3. Records 4. Start Time 5. Due Time 6. Workflow 7. Step 8. Description

Ref Page 227 Data Manager Guide "Notifications"

Rgds,

Prasad

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gaurav,

This way it will be more like trying to cure symptom and not the disease.

What I am trying to say is the problem is WF going into error state,please note if there is a particular stage  causing WF to go in error,is there a network issue,MDSS issue,repository going down etc.Please do a thorough check of logs/traces for this.

A better idea would be to use assignment at each stage to know the current stage and then see if there is a pattern in WF getting corrupt.

However I think what you want here can be achieved using Java APIs accessing the History table.

You can use other constraints in combination with Jobid and also the assignment of WF stage to get list of such WFs on daily/hourly/need based timelines.

Thanks,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

MDM 5.5, SP6