cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create a Web Service for BI Dashboard

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

I have a question with regards to creating a web service that will in turn be used for the BI Dashboad (Xcelcius). I am able to create the web service within the ME SDK and deploy it without any problems. I can even run it through the SOAP UI and get back the expected results. However when trying to use the web service from with the BI Dashboard it displays an error message: "Unable to load URL" with an additional status of "Connected. 0 methods available".

My guess is that the WSDL that is generated from the SDK is not as fully qualified as it should be.

Has anyone else run into this problem and more importantly figured out a solution?

Thanks,
Mike

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member184594
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Also check the note below:

SAP Note: 1240174

Symptom

• Error: "Unable to Load URL" when trying to add a Web Service Connection in Xcelsius.
  • The WSDL is based on multiple schema i.e. one schema imports from the other.

Environment

• Xcelsius 2008 Enterprise
  • Xcelsius 2008 Enterprise Service Pack 3

Reproducing the Issue

Try to load http://jira.atlassian.com/rpc/soap/jirasoapservice-v2?wsdl as a web service connection inside Xcelsius.

Cause

This behaviour is noted in ADAPT01454514.

Resolution

Xcelsius is designed to consume simple single schema Web Services. The ability to consume Multiple Schema basd web services can be considered as an enhancement request in Xcelsius.

The acceptance enhancement request, inclusion of additional features in a product and its related timeline lies at the sole discretion of the Product Group.

Thus, issue may (or may not) be fixed in a future Service Pack / Fix Pack.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Zahid,

Thank you for the links. I will take a look at them and see what is going on.

Mike

tim_drury
Active Participant
0 Kudos

soapUI can be pretty forgiving when there are errors in the WSDL.  To narrow down the issue, try running wsimport on the WSDL.  wsimport comes with JDK 6+.  You can also do this through soapUI, but it requires JDK 6 also, so you may as well just use the command line.  If there is an issue with the WSDL, wsimport should highlight it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tim,

Thanks for getting back to me. When generating a web service within the SAP ME SDK I do not have access to the wsdl that gets genereated by the SDK. So even if I view it and copy/paste then run it through the "wsimport" how would I "fix it" if there were issues?

Thanks,
Mike

tim_drury
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Understanding what the issue is (or is not) will help determine next steps.

Bear in mind (and this is true for all app servers not just NetWeaver), then you deploy a web service to the container, it will recreate the WSDL from the web service class and its dependencies.  It never just publishes the WSDL you provide.  In an early version of NW 7.0 there was a bug that caused the omission of an xs:element definition within the soap:fault declaration.  soapUI didn't care and would work anyway, but most other (i.e. stricter) tools would fail saying the WSDL is invalid.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I created a simple WebService class within the SDK under the Web Services --> Java Resources --> src --> com.vendor

Executed the ant scripts to build it and package it up. clean, import, run.production.build

Deployed the SAPME.sca file.

Went into Netweaver to get the WSDL URL:

Configuration Management --> Connectivity --> Single Service Administration

Opened up the link within Internet Explorer and saved a copy of the wsdl.

Ran the saved wdsl file through the "wsimport" as you suggested and worked fine: parsing WSDL... generating code... compiling code...

Having never used the "wsimport" I am guessing since that all worked fine that the wsdl is valid. Any other thoughts on why this WebService call works in SOAPUI and will not work within the BI Dashboard?

Thanks,
Mike

tim_drury
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I don't know anything about BI, but I can try to help.  Was there a stack trace in NetWeaver?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you. There is no error within Netweaver, only within the BI Dashboard when trying to read the wsdl. I was hoping that someone else out there was also trying to use ME and BI to do dashboards using web service calls. My feeling is that it was the way that the wsdl is being generated by the SDK that is the problem because if I follow a few examples that I have found I can read in other wsdl pages with out any problems.

Thanks again,
Mike

former_member184594
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Web services running on browser or any other 3rd party tool like SOAP UI does not mean it may work in Xcelsius. Xcelsius is not able to run all types of web services. Try to modify your WS with arrays. Xcelsius does not support Data Table web services or other kinds. It has to be specific.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Zahid,

Thank you for your response. I figured that Xcelsius was very particular on what information it needed. However, the web service I created was a very simple test case. Input of a String and output a String that was generated through the SAP SDK Eclipse Platform.

Do you have (or can point me to) a working example that follows this scenario?

Thank you,

Mike

former_member184594
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I am not really a code guy. Someone else wrote the web service for me. That was the problem when we were trying to consume web service in Xcelsius. The one we could use in Xcelsius was the one with array type web service.

You check the web service below may be this will give you an idea.

http://www.webservicex.net/medicareSupplier.asmx