cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NWDI: Development and Maintenance Track

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello, I have a question. We are using the NWDI based on Netweaver 2004s, SP8 with on development track. The developers would like to have a maintenance track. I read the webblog "Best Practices for NWDI: Track design for ongoing development" and "Best Practies for Running the NWDI".

But what I didnt understand is, when they are talking about DEV-System in the development track and DEV-System in the maintenance track. Is this the same j2ee system or are these two systems?

At the moment we have four servers.

NWDI, DEV, TEST and PROD for the development track.

Did we need additional systems for the maintenance track?

Regards,

Alexander Türk

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

thanks for the answer. Very helpfull. Second question:

It always takes some time to get the new servers. The developers are asking if I could create a second track. Copy the code from the first track. they could then start with their development on a local NWDS and test the code on their local j2ee until I have installed the additional j2ee servers. I'm not completly sure if that would work.

Regards,

Alexander Türk

Former Member
0 Kudos

That will work. The developers just have to make sure they configure their studio to deploy locally.

Since you do not have a server just create the track without any runtime systems. Working like this will make it possible for developers to create activities, check them in and even activate them. But the changes will not be deployed on a server after activation (because there isn't one). When the new servers are available you can change the track and add them as runtime systems. Changing the track configuration will trigger a system restore and will deploy everything on the new servers (if you enable auto-deployment).

Regards,

Christophe

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Jordan_Stanchev
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello,

is sounds to me that these few topics might be helpful for you. See <a href="http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/44/355274ba830a67e10000000a422035/frameset.htm">here</a>.

Regards, Jordan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Alexander,

Theoretically you can reuse the systems of the DEV track but I would not advice it. In most cases you are already developing the next release in the DEV track.

Suppose the DEV track has release x+1 and the MAINT track has release x. You want to test and your new developments and your maintenance fixes. In case you use the same servers components will get overwritten and DEV and MAINT will hinder each other.

But depending on the way of working it is not necessary to have 3 servers for maintenance. If you have only few maintenance fixes, only one server used for both development and testing (in the MAINT track) is sufficient. If you have a very big maintenance more servers are better. So developers and testers can work without hindering each other.

Regards,

Christophe