Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixed Screen size of new SCN theme is too small

markteichmann
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

While monitor size and resolution is still growing I am surprised that the new SCN comes with a fixed size of the content. Now I am seeing a grey background on half of my widescreen 17" laptop screen.

I would be happy if the content would scale automatically while resizing the browser window.

Regards,

Mark

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

werner_daehn
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

New SCN Blog system isn't much of an improvement.This is how a blog post looks there.

In contrast, this is a Wikipedia screenshot

Which one is more readable? The one with one column 1/8th of the screen width or the one adjusting to the available screen?

As most of the content needs to be reformatted anyhow, I would change to a relative width now.

werner_daehn
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'd like to resurrect that post. It does not get better with today's screen resolutions. Even an average tablet has more pixels horizontally than SCN.

And it does not increase the reading experience when all screenshots are scaled down that much to fit the 1/4 screen.

This is how SCN looks on a UHD screen.

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

one reason why this platform will be replaced this year, follow the to get updates about the journey to the new digital experience and you will not miss the date when this finally will happen.

werner_daehn
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Jürgen. Mind to explain more? Even in the new Wordpress based solution you have the option to restrict the page to fixed width.

So your response can be read as

• In the new version the screen width will be fixed but 5% wider.
  • In the new version the entire screen width is used to render full screen on all devices, from phones to tablets to UHD monitors.

blogs.saphana.com is based on Wordpress also and there the screen looks just a little bit better but not by much.

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

this is a 100% in Google Chrome

with 150% my screen is full, the text starts at the most left point and goes to the scroll bar on the right.

with 175% the text is re-arranged

werner_daehn
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Looks like a fixed width still. And that is what this thread complains about.

How does the screen look like when you change the Chrome zoom factor to 25% simulating a screen with >4000 pixels? Is just the middle of the screen being used or the full screen?

What happens if you change the font size of the browser to be twice as large or half the size?

The beauty of HTML is that it renders sensitive to the device. You might have a 2000pixel resolution but on a tiny 5" phone screen where the fontsize would be 20 pixel. You might have a 40" screen with fullhd resolution. You might print a page with 20'000pixels resolution. You might have a VR glass and read the text from there.

With a fixed width and fixed font size approach (the latter you can't even control) this effectively does reverse this advantage - suddenly it renders on one single screen resolution nicely, a resolution just 20% of the viewers have.

I would suggest to use wikipedia's layout as a reference. Try above changes, zoom in, zoom out, change font sizes, make browser window smaller,... with any wikipedia page. The result will always be a nicely formatted page.

markteichmann
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Wikipedia exactly shows what I expect from a nice layout. Especially when pasting code snippets in blog posts you need wider screens to have a readable version of the code.