cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation Server 'On End Update' Scripting - Doesn't Run

Former Member
0 Kudos

I just ran across this and thought I'd post a heads up for others.

Installation Server package scripting to run 'On End Update'  (and likely begin update too), does not work when you initiate an update from the client using NwSapSetup.exe /update /all /nodlg.

If however you utilize the AWUS feature and NwSapAutomaticWorkstationUpdate service initiates an update, it will run all related scripting.

I have Customer Support Message:  0000216757  Open on the matter.

Sapgui 7.20 Patch 8

SAP SETUP 9.0 ver 5 w/ AWUS

My front end systems have the SAME installation package installed and from the SAME server.

Bob H

Minneapolis, MN

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Bob

Did you find a solution ?

I have the same situation with sap 7.3

Regards Talgat

bonnie_mu
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Talgat,

Please update to the latest SAP setup 9.0.40.0 to have a test.

You can refer sap note 1587566 - Installation problems with SapSetup Version 9.0

Best Regards,

Bonnie

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

I have already SAP setup version 9.0.04.0

Regards Talgat

bonnie_mu
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Talgat,

What the command do you use for GUI updating?

Please check your gui installation log, see if there's any error?

Best Regards,

Bonnie

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bonnie

We replace file WkstaUpdater.cfg (where it is placed patch to new installation server) and than reboot PC.

Regards Talgat

Former Member
0 Kudos

There are no any errors in installation log.

bonnie_mu
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello,

Only the script 'On End update' doesn't work or the whole update doesn't work?

Which package you add the script into?

In the gui installation log, is there 'On End update' content ?

Best regards,

Bonnie

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

Only script 'On End Update' event doesn't work and update itself is successfull

There is no  'On End update' content in gui installation log.

Best Regards Talgat

bonnie_mu
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello,

Which package you put the 'On End Update' script into?

Or change the script in WkstaUpdater.cfg file?

Please create a package and insert the script, see if it workes.

Best Regards,

Bonnie

david_winter2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Bob,

You say your using the command NwSapSetup.exe /update /all /nodlg.

If you add /package=packagename to this does that work? What does the /all do? In the guide it only talks about this when uninstalling. I think the command as it stands just does an update to the currently installed items there is no association to the package when this is run.

David.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

Running latest SAP Setup 9.0.1.15.

Confirmed the same issue.

One PC - all components defined in the package installed - log was perfect

other PCs - scripts not run, partial components (no sapgui ) , log seems incomplete.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Zain,

How did you initiate the updates on the front end systems?

Are these all same OS?  Your report of incomplete log, might be an indication of a scripting issue difference between WinXP and Win7.  I know from past experiences when there is any scripting errors ... the rest of the scripting will abort.

In my case I had full complete logs, all ended with result code '0'.  It was just that when the update was performed using   nwsapsetup.exe /update   that the 'on end update' scripting did not run.

Bob H

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bob

I am using new PC installation using commandline

/package:"myPackage" /noDlg /init:one.

It is different  from your "update" scenario. These are initiated from the respective PCs.

Did a new installation server from CD (patch 7) ,updated up to GUI patch 9 latest hotfixes, avoided any GUI patches after Jan 2012. My test PCs (WinXP, Win7) are installed correctly .

So my problems lies with 720 GUI patches 10 or one of the newer hotfixes.

Might give GUI patch 11 a try once it's out (soon).

david_winter2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Bob,

I have a similar problem, I'm in the middle of a 7.20 patch 10 roll out and some clients update and run the scripts fine while others do not. The setup logs don't reveal much. On those that do work the scripting events are logged. All I could assume was the package the clients associate are not the same perhaps or they were not installed from that package originally. The clients still update be no scripts are run.

I've not tested the AWUS option, in the past the scripting has worked fine so I've not rolled this out.a

David.

Former Member
0 Kudos

David,

Looks like my REPLY from yesterday did not get saved on the new system.

Sounds like you might be dealing with pc's that are not running the same installation package.  I know from past experience if someone did an install by only running NwSapSetup.exe without selecting packages it really messes things up.

In my situation that I posted on, all pc's had run the same installation package from the same installation server.

Server was then patched with BW and BI support packs.

Gui front ends where AWUS was working acquired the update PLUS some additional regkeys and file copies via 'On End Update' scripting.

Gui front ends where I had manually ran the update via NwSapSetup.exe /update /all /nodlg got the patches but did not get the 'On End Update' scripted changes.

Bob H

david_winter2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Bob,

I thought most of my clients had been installed from the installation server package but it looks like someone was installing them manually from the installation server and not using the package. I've traced my issue to the SAL files or .s8l files located on each PC at:

C:\Program Files (x86)\SAP\SapSetup\setup\SAL

The package reference is not set on those that fail, the line is set to:

Cmd="/Update"

Those that do work have the package name:

Cmd="/Update /Package="Desktop""

The SAPSrcDir="\\installationserver\share was still set on both so they update from the installation server but without the package reference they will not run a script.

I had one user yesterday who had installed from the CD and setting all of these in the s8l file on their PC updated their GUI from the installation server and ran the scripts. So you can associate a GUI with the install server even though it was not original source.

Former Member
0 Kudos

David,

Thanks ... that will be helpful in the future as I also have some installs out there were people were not following directions.

But just to clarify .... my post for the heads up was not due to an improper install situation.  All pc's involved with my 'heads up' post are confirmed to have installed the same package off the same installation server.

Bob H