cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre-calculation Server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Does anyone have a guide to setting up a pre-calculation server. I am not able to search in the forums. Thanks.  

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Arjun, you said I can use the BI server for pre-calc server as well.  In Venkat's blog it says:

"Note, it is highly recommended NOT to use a server which is in use for anything else, especially for any other SAP applications as the requirements for Precalculation are often in conflict with other applications. It will commonly break other applications run on the same system after installation."

so what should i do? Can It not be done if I only have BI server? thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Vikram,

I cannot comment on Venkat's blog but I am not sure how pre-calculation server can conflict with other SAP applications and doesn't sounds valid.

Pre-Calculation server not even using SAP Application ports. Only thing, need to make sure is to follow the pre-requisites We have Pre-Calculation server in our BW envrionment which is working without any issues. People try to avoid installing pre-calculation server because, it needs some registry modifications and installation of excel which is depend's on Basis person.

You can start with sandbox server.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, Arjun. i have seen this link but i have read some place that some software needs to be installed some where. can you tell me what software needs to be installed and where it needs to be installled and where can i get it from? because i think i will have to involve basis. thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The precalculation 7.x is available with SAP GUI 7.20. This can be downloaded from the Service Marketplace.

You need to Install SAP Precalculation server on the client systems which is laptop or desktop. Check the note Note 1461398 - BW 7.X(7.20) Precalculation - General Info. & Limitations

Refer to the link below

http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/BI/Installation+of+precalculation+server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Arjun, What do you mean by "You need to Install SAP Precalculation server on the client systems which is laptop or desktop."  Should it not be installed on a server?  what if the laptop or desktop is shutdown, how would the jobs run then? Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, it's correct. The precalculation server can also be a dedicated server for just the purpose of precalculating workbooks.

If you are desperate, you can use a normal workstation for that as well.

But the user of this machine shouldn't be using BEx Analyzer or Excel at all, that would interfere with the scheduled precalculation tasks.

A possible variant would be to have a normal user's workstation installed with the precalculation service and only schedule workbook precalculations at night time. That would mean that the user can work normaly during the day, and at night the precalculation service takes over.

PROCEDURE

On your precalculation server you have to install

- SAPGUI frontend

- Microsoft Excel

- the precalculation service itself (xPreCalServer##.exe, where ## ist the number of the current patch)

From enterprise portal, you can then schedule a workbook to be calculated, which causes the precalculation server to start excel, load the workbook, execute the calculation and send the workbook to the destination you set.

Really, this can be done by a small client. It shouldn't be installed on a workstation which is used for other purposes, though. At least, no or little user interaction with the precalculation server should be secured.

The rfc destination from BW server should point to the precalculation server.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Arjun, thanks what if my basis team put this service on the same server that BI is installed on? would it work?      we do not have any workstation that we can use at this time. thanks.    

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, you can use the same BI server for pre-calculation server installation.