cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Database archiving

0 Kudos

I have to setup SAP database archiving server .I am going through SDN docs which i have not finished yet.

I have some doubts related to it please have a look and suggest me if you have some idea over it

Basic steps are :First i need to install SAP archiving server then perform DB archiving and setup archiving link (Which i will see later)

I have basic idea for Database Archiving in which i archived data from Databse to File system level.

1 : What infrastructure i will need for setting up archiving server.My SAP db  size is 1 TB so if i assume lets 500 GB is the data from closed business process so can i ask client to arrange 1.5 TB  Disk space(Considering Future growth)

My SAP system is

SAP: ECC 6.0

DB : Oracle 10g

2 : Will there be any software required to be installed for the Archiving server or directly i can use this additional space as new file system in which i archive data from Database :

Some body was telling me that i need to have SAP content server to be installed but i came to know that its only for putting documents  centrally.

Guide from SDN says

"The SAP Content Server should not be confused with an archive system. It is an independent windows-based system, which is connected to an SAP database (SAP DB), in which the documents are stored. The SAP Content Server is used for documents that are delivered by SAP, such as via the SAP Knowledge Warehouse, and for documents that are created through defined processes (attachments in the Workflow). In addition it is used extensively in SAP Document Management (DMS) for documents that are still being processed. The SAP Content Server may not be used as an archive system for storing documents that can no longer be changed and that must be kept by law, because it saves data in the database and does not support any other media  "

In this  link http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/index?rid=/library/uuid/d76f5301-0b01-0010-2a97-9938052ddf81   it is saying that

Is the SAP Content Server suitable for data archiving?

Up to and including SAP Content Server 6.20 the SAP CS is not designed to handle large files, which are common in data archiving. The new SAP CS 6.30 is designed to also handle large files and can therefore technically be used to store archive files. SAP CS does not support optical media. It is especially important to regularly run backups on the existing data! Recommendation for using SAP CS for data archiving: Store the files on SAP CS in a decompressed format (make settings at the repository) Install SAP CS and SAP DB on one server Use SAP CS for Unix (runtime tests to see how SAP CS for Windows behaves with large files still have to be carried out)

It it possible for you to let me know the sequence to be followed for the setup.

Best Regards

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

By using content server, we can open the required documetns online via pdf as if it is in the production system. so there is no need of struggling to get the archived  things for end user.

Regards,

Venkata S Pagolu