cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

maximum length of filename which is possible in file adapter(sender and reciever)

0 Kudos

Dear All,

I would like to know that what is the maximum length of filename which is possible in file adapter(sender and reciever)

Regards

nitin

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Shabarish_Nair
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

the maximum is 255 but as mentioned by other it is OS dependant. So its better to check what is your target FTP server OS and then figure out the actual length it supports.

baskar_gopalakrishnan2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Since it is os based, you dont see any document from PI perspective about the size of the file name. Again you drop the file or access the file from the sender or target system. Strictly it is not specific to PI environment. So go with meaningful name and decide the size according to the requirement. There is no set rule for the size.

anupam_ghosh2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nitin,

The maximum number of characters in filename is dependent upon Operating system from which you are reading the file or writing the file to. You can follow this link which gives details of max file name length for each operating system http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filename#Length_restrictions

Regards

Anupam

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think 64 characters

former_member181985
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It all depends on operating systems where it is writing. Each operating system will follow its own standards.

baskar_gopalakrishnan2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There is no definite set rule for the filename length max. You can see it in the filename section of the channel.  But I would certainly go with some definte length with meaningful name.