cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expectation during sap mm implementation project

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Friends, I am about to start-up my first SAP Implementation Project. I just want to be clear of the real live expectation. My Question: " Is it ethical to do my configuration with the SAP MM step by step configuration book on site since it looks like I might not remember all the configuration steps and path?" Do SAP Implementation consultant go to site with SAP MM step by step configuration books which they can follow during configuration, is it ok?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Whaoo! this is so inspiring, I want to thank everyone that has contributed to my question. You all gave very helpful tips, I now know exactly what to do.

Regards,

Patrick

raghavan_iyengar3
Active Participant
0 Kudos

congratulations patrick.. how s ur project going on?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

It is the good opportunity to you,you have to follow the ASAP methodologies.

first you understand what is the client requirement?

find out the configuration with suitable scenarios..

---dinesh

raghavan_iyengar3
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi..

You can refer to http://help.sap.com/bestpractices for standard available Business blueprint documents.

BijayKumarBarik
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am not sure about your implementation but wonder how your company left alone for such challenging task! I believe there will be team where you have project manager with all team lead (or at least experience consultant) with proper project plan.

Regarding configuration, no book needed (I hope all agree, what we studied in college, we just do 1-2% of that with real business task) and can be done as per business scenarios.

You can start with designing MM organisation structure by having purchasing organisation, plants and storage locations and it all assignment with plants assigned to company code. 2nd step will be designing master like designing material master, designing vendor master and designing service master. For designing material master, you have new own customised material types, material numbering, material group, account category reference and purchasing group with logic behind material numbering. For designing vendor master, you have new own customised vendor account group, with logic behind material numbering. 3rd step will be designing purchasing document types( PR,RFQ and PO) and its number ranges. 4th step will be designing MM pricing procedure where new customise new condition types may be needed. If CIN involved, 5th step start with designing tax procedure with designing new condition types for non-deductable and deductable taxes with excise setting for plant and company code. If purchasing process needed approval, then 6th step started with designing release strategy with creating release class and release characteristics. 7th step started with inventory management control where goods receipt, goods issue and stock transfer process ,if require, you may go for new movement type creation.8th  step is details configuration for logistic invoice verification with again where you can set your tolerance limit.9th step will be left behind the MM-FI automatic account determination ,generally done in OBYC t.code before activating valuation area in OX14 and activating valuation grouping code in OMWM with assigning valuation area to valuation grouping code in OMWD t.code. Also if tax involved all tax G/L account need to be assigned in OB40 t.code.

The above can be designed and kept ready before starting configuration in the system and later as and when required you add new configuration as business needed and its true business differs company to company.

Regards,

Biju k

raghavan_iyengar3
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

First read TSCM50 and TSCM52 thoroughly with the concepts. They are standard SAP books available for MM config and business process.

Have a meeting with the client and understand their business requirements. It is not necessary that you should go only by book, as business process demands more innovation than what is present in the book.

Next step is the preparation of the Business blueprint document, which will have all the required business process demanded by client, and corresponding SAP solution.

It is not like, SAP books says config the client/ plant/ material masters.. but the config is done by process wise. How we address the business process is the key here.

Once you are done with mapping of the business process, you must test the process if its working as per requirement.

Then client will test it, and corresponding users should be given training about how to use SAP and how to run the process.

Consultants should be flexible in SAP implementation because Business pays for SAP and SAP wants the business.

Raghavan

Former Member
0 Kudos

It is not appropriate to refer guides in front of your clients as if you are looking for help. But certainly you can refer them for any sort of help. Best way to avoid refering to configuration guides is to use copy functionality of any existing config object.

As such for implementation project, you will not just be involved in configuration of the system, but loads of other stuff including business discussions and workshops, suggesting better processes, explaining master data requirements, assessing existing data and processes. identifying gaps (if any). developments of custom objects, trainings, etc.

Regards,

Dakshesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Dakshesh, but please can you throw more light on this sentence "Best way to avoid refering to configuration guides is to use copy functionality of any existing config object". What do you mean by "to use copy functionality of any existing config object"?

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

By Copy functionality I meant, if you need to create a Plant, you should create it copying 1000 or 0001 which is already available configured in system. If its PO doc. type than you should create it copying lets say NB.

Create new configuration, copying the most relevant existing configuration data.

Regards,

Dakshesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello, please can any one help me out with this above question? I just want an idea.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi

in the imp. project you have to understand the clients' Materials Management current business processes and AS-IS study.

you have to prepare Business Blue Print mapping the existing process with SAP.

configure the system based on their requirement

Give training to the core team.

master data and collection of data for cut over activities.

etc.,