cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ORA-12547 in sqlplus upgrading from 11.2.0.1. to 11.2.0.3

0 Kudos

Hello,

I've struck an issue while trying to upgrade my SolMan Dev system from 11.2.0.1 to 11.2.0.3.

I'm using the Upgrade Guide dated 2011-12-20 version 3.00.

What I’ve done: installed the 11.2.0.3 software in a new ORACLE_HOME, /oracle/<SID>/11203

Applied the SAP Bundle Patch (SBP) – basically a number of patches using MOPatch.  The link at the end of this worked OK.

I haven't adjusted the listener or tnsnames yet as that comes later in the process.

As part of the SBP post-install, I need to run the following (the ORACLE_HOME of my user is set to the new ORACLE_HOME):

$ cd $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin

$ sqlplus / as sysdba

SQL> @?/sapbundle/SAP_112031_201202/catsbp.sql

But when I attempt to login to sqlplus, I get:

sapsmd01:orasmd 162% sqlplus / as sysdba

SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.1.0 Production on Fri Mar 9 08:49:33 2012

Copyright (c) 1982, 2009, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

ERROR:

ORA-12547: TNS:lost contact

The ORACLE_HOME is set to the 11203 version, so I was surprised to see SQLPLUS is still 11.2.0.1. This is also the case if I go into /oracle/SMD/11203/bin and run it from there.

I have found a couple of entries on forums which seem to indicate that this issue could be caused by the O/S being too low a level. We have upgraded the O/S over the weekend, but the error still remains.

Has anyone else encountered this or have any other suggestions as to what may be causing the problem?

Cheers...John

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Even you didn't note the OS you are running on, I suggest you read the notes, below;

Note 1568885 - ORA-12547: TNS:lost contact on AIX with online patches

Note 505630 - Composite SAP Note ORA-12547

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

ORA-12547: TNS:lost contactProblem/Resolution :

Problem was due to LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Unset the PATH

Regards,

Venkata S Pagolu

0 Kudos

Hi Venkata and Orkun,

thanks for taking the time to reply.

Venkata, could you please clarify....do you mean unset LD_LIBRARY_PATH or unset PATH?

I've tried both - the error still remains if I unset PATH, but I can at least get into SQLPLUS if I unset LD_LIBRARY_PATH....although it still shows as 11.2.0.1.0.

Regards...John

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can you please check LD_LIBRARY_PATH valuse and let me know that.

echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Regards,

Venkata S Pagolu

0 Kudos

Hi,

value before I unset it was:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/oracle/SMD/112_64/lib:/usr/sap/SMD/SYS/exe/run:/oracle/SMD/112_64/lib:/oracle/SMD/112_64/OPatch

Note that I added the first library as per the Upgrade Guide section 3.5.1 which says to set it to

$ORACLE_HOME/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

This ORACLE_HOME is my current ORACLEL_HOME, not the new one that I am upgrading to.

Regards...John

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can you give  try as below.

Set  LD_LIBRARY_PATH to /oracle/stage/lib

Then proceed

After the upgrade, set the value of LD_LIBRARY_PATH back to $ORACLE_HOME/lib.

Regards,

Venkata S Pagolu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi John,

Check, PATH environment variable, contains "/oracle/<SID>/112_64/bin" at the first sequence, such as;

PATH=/oracle/<SID>/112_64/bin:/oracle/<SID>:/usr/sap/<SID>/SYS/exe/run:/usr/bin..........

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

0 Kudos

Hi guys,

thanks once again for your input.

Orkun: PATH is set OK as follows, so I don't think this is an issue:

PATH=/oracle/SMD/112_64/bin:@JAVA_HOME@/bin:/oracle/SMD:/usr/sap/SMD/SYS/exe/run....

Venkata: there is no /oracle/stage/lib directory. Under /oracle/stage, there is only the various Oracle releases - I have 11203 and ora_11g.

If I unset LD_LIBRARY_PATH, then I can get into SQLPLUS, but it is only connected to an idle instance, and when I try to run @?/sapbundle/SAP_112031_201202/catsbp.sql, then of course I get an ORA-01034 Oracle not available message. (This is with my ORACLE_HOME set  to 11203).

IF I set LD_LIBRARY_PATH like this:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/oracle/SMD/112_64/lib:/usr/sap/SMD/SYS/exe/run:/oracle/SMD/112_64/lib:/oracle/SMD/112_64/OPatch

then I get the ORA-12547 error.

Regards....John

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello John,

check if symbolic link /oracle/SMD/112_64 is pointing to correct (11.2.0.3) oracle home.

regards

Igor

0 Kudos

Hi Igor,

no it isn't.  Creating this symbolic link is something that is done as a post-upgrade step (5.2 in the Upgrade Guide), so I haven't got that far yet.

Regards...John

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jonh,

this is the thing, as your ORACLE_HOME is pointing to /oracle/SID/112_64, when you want to patch 11203 oracle home, you need to adjust your ORACLE_HOME to /oracle/SID/11203. So connect as orasid, change ORACLE_HOME to /oracle/SID/11203.  So this way you will start sqlplus version 11.2.0.3. But as you did not yet upgraded your database, you are not supposed to run catsbp.sql. This would be started as custom script after DB upgrade by dbua.sap.sh wrapper script in you will upgrade DB this way. If you are not going to run upgrade with SAP wrapper script, you will need to run catsbp.sql manually once DB is upgraded to 11.2.0.3 and running.

Regards

Igor

0 Kudos

Hi Igor,

thanks once again for your reply.

Just to clarify where I'm at.....

My current release is 11.2.0.1.  I want to go to 11.2.0.3.

What I understand from the Upgrade guide is that to go to this level requires a new install of the software, so I have done this into a new ORACLE_HOME.

After installing the software, the next step is to apply the SAP Bundle Patch. Before doing this, I set my ORACLE_HOME to the new release i.e. /oracle/SID/11023, as per the Upgrade Guide 3.5.4., and then installed the SBP.

The running of catsbp.sql is a post-installation task of the SBP, so this is before I have upgraded the database.

The strange thing is that even when I go into /oracle/SID/11203/bin and run sqlplus from there it still shows as 11.2.0.1 which I find strange.

SAP have suggested that I try to relink the Oracle objects so I am going to give that a try.

Regards.....John

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes.. I did the same after my oracle upgrade, but we had renamed SID also I recollected now but my issue was different. It gives TNS error along with library file loading also.

Then I had to run "relink all" under lib dir to resolve my issue.

It gives so many errors but we can ignore them.

Regards,

Venkata S Pagolu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello John,

you are beeing mistaken with running catsbp before database upgrade, you can not run this sql when DB is not yet running. Correct sequence is to 1) install 11203 software 2) install SBP with Mopatch 3) upgrade database 4) on 11203 run catsbp

As you have 11.2.0.1 db, ORACLE_HOME is set to /oracle/SID/112_64. When you install 11203 you set your ORACLE_HOME to /oracle/SID/11203, with the same ORACLE_HOME you run Mopatch, then with 11.2.0.1 ORACLE_HOME you'll run DB upgrade with SAP wrapper script (usually this script recognizes that you've applied SBP and runs catsbp as custom script with others like sapuprof.sql etc. during the upgrade). After this you have DB on version 11.2.0.3 and you should rename 112_64 to 11201 and create link 112_64 -> 11203

For the sqlplus, as you did not pasted full PATH variable. When you go to /oracle/SID/11203/bin, you start sqlplus like this:

./sqlplus

as current directory .  might not part of your PATH variable  so if you start it just sqlplus, it will still run /oracle/SID/112_64/bin/sqlplus, also if . is part of your PATH variable but it's preceeded by /oracle/SID/112_64/bin, again 11.2.0.1 sqlplus will be started.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi John,

Did you met all the prerequisites accroding to  Note 1431800 - Oracle 11.2.0: Central Technical Note

as mentioned in the doc just before going to apply SBPs in Step 3.5.4

Also please provide SAP bundle patch README file.

Regards,

Venkata S Pagolu

0 Kudos

Hi guys,

still going with this issue....thanks for your continued interest and assistance.

Igor: I think you are correct about not running catsbp.sql at this point in the process.

I have asked SAP to confirm this (which would mean that the documentation they have provided for applying the SBP is incorrect).

I'll let you know what response I get.

Regards....John

0 Kudos

Hi again, guys,

thought you might like to know that what Igor was telling me was indeed correct.

My issue has stemmed from a basic misinterpretation of the SBP documentation. This has not been helped by the fact that SAP don't appear to have understood my isssue. Their last communication to me was that I do need to run catsbp.sql at this point, but after discussing with a number of people I decided to go ahead with the upgrade anyway, and it has now completed OK.

It is my understanding that the catsbp.sql procedure doesn't need to be run as part of the SBP procedure if you are also upgrading the database at the same time (in fact, as I found, it will not run!). You would only run catsbp.sql as directed in the SBP post-installation instructions when applying to an existing database.

I don't believe that the documentation is clear about this and will be discussing further with SAP.

Thanks to you all for your assistance and suggestions.

Regards....John

Answers (0)