Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netweaver Support Package "Stacks"

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have installed JDI for Netweaver 04.

Now I want to install Netweaver 04 SP Stack 10 or higher. But on going to the website http://service.sap.com/sp-stacks, I am seeing very confusing information about getting this.

In the document entitled "SAP NetWeaver Java Development Infrastructure", there is a section "Steps After Installing the JDI". In it is mentioned that "Before using the Template Configuration Tool, you have to apply SAP NetWeaver ’04 Support Package Stack 10 or higher."

OK, so I went to the site http://service.sap.com/sp-stacks.

1)

Here they only mention SP 9, SP 10, SP 11, etc. There is no mention of the word "Stack". What does Stack mean, exactly? Is it necessary to use this, or does "SP 10" and SP Stack 10" mean the same thing?

2)

Which one should I choose from here? The section "NWDI", "NW Developer Studio", "Java Server", or something else?

3)

As a default choice, I went into "Java Server", "SAP J2EE ENGINE 6.40", chose NT/I386 and clicked "Download Page". In there I am seeing a lot of links, like "WebAS 6.40 SP10(Part 1/4)" etc. I see Part 1/4, 2/4, 3/4, but no "Part 4/4". This happens for both SP 10 and SP 11.

Since SP 11 is already out, shouldn't SP 10 be available completely? Why would Part 4/4 be missing?

Have any of you run into this problem before?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

viliana
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

I hope I'll throw some light on some of your questions:

1) There is a description of what the SAP Support Package Stacks mean on the same page, where you have checked ( http://service.sap.com/sp-stacks):

"SAP Support Package Stacks

In 2003, the SAP Support Package strategy was extended for certain product versions to Support Package Stacks (SP Stacks). The new strategy supports the actual way in which the majority of customers apply Support Packages (SPs). Quality and service can be further improved and therefore total cost of ownership can be reduced.

The increasing diversity of components within a product version calls for greater transparency when it comes to applying Support Packages and patches. It also requires clear guidelines on the recommended or permitted combinations of these. For this purpose, a new “SP Stack” will be compiled for each product version included in the new strategy (usually quarterly). This SP Stack will contain the optimal combination of Support Package and patch statuses for the individual components at the given time.

The SP Stacks are sets of Support Packages and patches for the respective product version that must be used in the given combination. SAP recommends regular application of these SP Stacks. The technology for applying Support Packages and patches will not change. SP Stacks should be seen as an entity in themselves – customers must heed the minimum requirements and dependencies between individual components, and apply the Support Packages and patches specified in the SP Stack together."

3) If you choose #OS independent, you have WebAS 6.40 SP11 and SP10(Part 4/4).

As for the Template Configuration Tool, it is a tool that enables the automatic configuration of the J2EE Engine and the SAP NetWeaver components running on top of it. This configuration is based on specially designed templates for different business scenarios. For how to apply these template and which template to apply in your case, see http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/12/fb8540ae1dbb4de10000000a1550b0/content.htm

For your second question - what components you need, you might find some useful information in the Master Guide. You can find it at: https://service.sap.com/instguidesnw04 -> Planning.

Hope that might help a little.

Best regards,

Viliana

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member181887
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Just to add to the response you have already received.

SAP-Stacks are the way that SAP is delivering all patches now for all new Applications and SAP NetWeaver components.

Basically, a SP-Stacks are a collection of Support packages that should be applied 'all at once'. You will no longer find references to individual Support packages in installation guides or SAP notes, just references to the SP-Stack that contains the fixes.

Each SAP NetWeaver SP-Stack has its owns installation guide that covers all the dependencies and all components.

With regard to finding and downloading the individual support packages for a specific SP-Stack. Please use the selection tool for your components to identify the Support packages. Remember there are database, OS and DB/OS independent support packages/patches. I think you will find that your number 4 of 4 is DB/OS independent and in a different folder. Again, the selection tool will help you find them.

I hope this helps,

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Mike,

Another question:

What is the "selection tool"?