Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macro writes into an InfoCube

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everybody,

There is a statement in the help for SCM 4.1:

<i>"In APO Demand Planning you can only read from InfoCubes..."</i>

But it is possible to write data into an InfoCube using a macro(via a key figure with the semantic 002 that is InfoCube). The Req. ID of the added records looks like APO_RCH41BZTPLXFIBF1DLLIF79M72 but it's not seen on the Requests tabpage (Right Click-> Manage).

So, I am little bit confused... Is it a bug or just a "hidden" trick? I have not found any note regarding that issue?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hai Mikalai,

I am not an expert. This answer could be right but please ensure it before taking it for granted.

You can only read data from a BW infocube. You cannot write data back to the BW infocube. APO has BW embedded in it and there are two kinds, BW and APO related, infocubes and Characteristics and Key Figures as well.

You can read data from a BW infocube and when you write data back, i.e., when you save your forecast or corrections or use macros whatever, the data is written back to an APO infocube. Also you can only write data to only APO key figures not BW key figures. Your Planning Object Structure(with Characteristics) and Planning Area(with key figures) constiute an internally generated APO infocube. Go to admin. workbench(RSA1) and search using your Planning Object Structure technical name. You will see an internally generated infocube. This cube is only write optimized. What ever you saved should be in this infocube.

By the way, where did you get the requestid from?

Hope my explanation helped you. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Message was edited by:

Visu Venkat

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think that APO Infocubes are used for storing CVC only and not for storing data. As regards APO key figures... In theory one should use only APO key figures while setting up the planning object structure but it's possible to choose BW key figures too. So, I think that the difference between using APO or BW key figures is only that you can not fix BW key figure while planning.

somnath_manna
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mikalai,

In APO Datamart Infocubes are for storing data. the APO Infocube mentioned by you is the internally system generated infocube created when you activate a Planning Object Structure. Such infocubes contain a single keyfigure which is the GUID for CVCs. Otherwise depending on the number of dimensions - different dimensin tables and the associated characteristics are created.

If you have a keyfigure in the planning area which is directly referenced to an infocube containing that keyfigure (not the system generated infocube storing the CVCs for the MPOS) then any write operation (manual through Interactive Planning or automatic through macro) does write back to the infocube. This is nowhere mentioned but I have seen this feature since APO 3.0. Please note any data access directly from infocube (referncing and not using load data form infocube to planning area) shlows down data access in Interactive Planning and hence not recommended.

Thanks,

somnath

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hai Somnath,

So if I undesrtand this conversation correct,

1. You can read data from an infocube, lets say C1, and when you want to save data to a key figure,say K1, you can reference the infocube C1 to the keyFigure K1 in Planning area with semantics '2'. You should also add this key figure to your infocube C1 so that it could write the data to it?

2. The internally generated infocube is only for storing Characteristic value combinations. I also see there is only one key figure in that infocube, I guess its GUID.

Please let me know if there are any mistakes in the above understanding.

Thank you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

1.K1 is a key figure of C1. Then you just add K1 to your POS with semantics 002. So having done this you are able to write data into C1(using macros).

2.Right.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I´m familiarized with BW infocubes, and the thing is that you cannot write into BASIC infocubes (normal reporting cubes in BW) but you can Write in TRANSACTIONAL Infocubes (planning cubes) just like SEM-BPS.

So when you are using APO to write some information you are writing to TInfocubes. The difference between Basic Cubes and Tcubes is just that, you can write information into them using the APO interface. The general structure and other things are exactly the same that Basic Cubes.

Bye....

Fer..

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi

w/res to the statement "In APO Demand Planning you can only read from InfoCubes..."

in apo we use transactional cube while planning and the basic functionality of this cube is re-writable capabilty. so i cant underatand the above statement, if we leave that then my answer might help u...

if u still have confusion.. jus mail again

Former Member
0 Kudos

In a standard setup, after loading data from the cube, you do your planning in the planning area and you can write back the planning area data back into the cube

But, You can actually write into a Infocube directly, if, in the Change Planning Area> Key figure tab> details--> you name the infocube in the relevant field.

Am not sure if this generates an internal number for a request though