cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Redistributable Package for the SAP .NET connector?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I've developed an app that use the 2.0 .NET connector. I don't see any redistributable package available for download. My questions:

1. Is there a redistributable package?

2. If not, I am willing to accept my users installing the full installation package. However, in this case, what is SAP's terms of redistribution for the .NET connector? Am I allowed to include connector installation package as part of my product to save my user the extra work of downloading it?

Thanks.

George

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Whe at user computer installing the full installation package, the install program need VS.NET installed as pre,

so might you can simply include SAP.Connector.dlln and SAP.Connector.RFC.dll into install program of your software.

reiner_hille-doering
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sure, you can do so for inhouse use. But you are not allowed to distribute SAP DLLs outside of your company.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dai,

Yes, I know that the full installation package requires VS.net. That's why there's a need for a redistributable package.

But it looks like SAP won't make one available for whatever reason. Instead, SAP wants the final end user to go thru the work of installing the SAP .NET connector.

George

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Reiner,

Thanks for clarifying this.

We'll have to accept this since there's no way around it. It means that our user will have extra work when installing our component.

I urge SAP to reconsider their position on the SAP .NET connector. Without a redistributable package and with no rights to redistribute the bare DLLs, the SAP .NET connector loses a lot of its attraction. This will definitely affect my decisions on future project.

George

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Reiner,

I agree with George. It is a pain to tell the customers to buy and install VS.NET just to get two DLLs. Please ask the decision makers to reconsider the current stance.

Thank you,

Sunny

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

heiko_schultze
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello,

are you talking about your own software that you want to sell or about an internal IT installation?

Best Regards,

Heiko

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

> are you talking about your own software that

> you want to sell or about an internal IT

> installation?

I'm thinking more about something that I need to sell. That is, my client will likely need to install the SAP .NET connector. I can:

1. Just let it be known that the SAP .NET connector is required and let them figure out how to get it from service.sap.com. (Not good since it makes work for my client. Plus, it requires Internet connectivity which isn't always available.)

2. Include a redistributable package as part of my product package and install it explicitly. (Better since it's now self-contained within my product's package.)

3. Automatically install the DLLs as part of my product installation. (This is best since it's totally transparent.)

My preference is for option 2 or 3 but I require either a redistributable package or an explicit statement from SAP allowing me to do this.

I'm looking for either one.

George

heiko_schultze
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello George,

I'm very sorry but this is not allowed by SAP. The only possibility for your customers is to install a valid Visual Studio and to copy the needed Runtime Files out of the directory. Then we allow to deploy these files inside of the company. Hope that helps.

Best Regards,

Heiko

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Heiko,

Hmmm... let me re-cap what I think I am hearing from you.

I have developed a component that uses the SAP .NET connector. I am selling my component to a customer. (My customer is already an SAP client.)

You're saying that:

1. My customer needs to have a valid Visual Studio .NET license. (That may be a problem but let's skip that for the while.)

2. He will need to install the SAP .NET connector. (That's kinda okay.)

3. He will then extract the 2 required DLLs from that installation. (Hmmm... now we're reaching.)

4. He can then install these 2 DLL on whatever machines will actually use my component. (Hmmm... this gets dicier.)

Is this reasonable?

What I proposed (and prefer) is for me to include the two required DLL from the SAP .NET connector distributiion as part of my component. You are suggesting that this is explicitly forbidden.

Thanks for any clarification.

George