cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble getting debugging working

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Recently installed the PDK V2.5 and have yet to get debugging working.

I have read over some of the other threads on this subject but haven't yet found a solution. Like others, I have encountered the "No Symbols Loaded" message ... ex

'ep.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\WINNT\assembly\GAC_32\mscorlib\2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\mscorlib.dll', Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.

'ep.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\SAP\Portal Add-in for Visual Studio 2005\Debug\ep.exe', No symbols loaded.

'ep.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\epapp2000\23bd3c6a\2d9c72bd\App_Web_lhpggfnt.dll', Symbols loaded.

'ep.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\epapp2000\23bd3c6a\2d9c72bd\App_Web_-ns8drxp.dll', Symbols loaded.

'ep.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\WINNT\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Runtime.Remoting\2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Runtime.Remoting.dll', No symbols loaded.

You'll note that some WERE loaded and others weren't

In my editor it is telling me that no symbols have been loaded for my document and that the breakpoint wont be hit (even through the code I am debugging is in the page_load event)

The runtime configuration is pretty much 'out of the box' with a couple of minor tweeks (which I obtained from other threads) ... here is how it is set up:

Allow Server Affinity - checked

Display ASP.NET Stack on ASP.NET Error - checked

Enable Ja.NET Logging - unchecked

Production Mode - unchecked

Request Timeout (milliseconds) - 5000

Lease Duration (seconds) - 5

Portal Servers

PortalNode - *

Host:Port - localhost:8051

.NET Runtime Servers

PortalNode - *

Host:Port - localhost:8050

.NET Runtime Failover Servers

PortalNode - *

Host:Port - localhost:8050

One interesting thing I noted which may or may not be related, is that in the browser that opens up when I start the app is:

http://toresportd2:50000/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/PortalApplication1.PortalComponent1?host=AP0...;

Notice that the port number is 8060 on my local client ... I would have thought it should have been 8050 ...

That is basically where I am at so if anyone has some suggestions I would greatly appreciate any ideas you have.

Many thanks

-Sheldon

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member55105
Participant
0 Kudos

Gooooood....I dont have to post this problem .... I am just getting the same error as Sheldon is getting ....I have referred to the document suggested for debugging the .NET PDK Portal application .....but didnt get any answer ....

Guys plz respond to this problem early ....

Sheldon: Please let me know if you find a solution to this problem ..

-Vijay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Will do ... nothing yet though.

I am pretty sure it has something to do with missing PDB files though. In case you aren't familiar, these are symbol files that the debugger uses to match up to debug information in your code.

From what I understand, when you put a breakpoint in your program it inserts a symbol into the assembly that can then be match up to by the debugger.

Each DLL has its own set of symbols and the debugger will try and load them all and perform the matching as the code executes.

When I go into the "Modules" window I am seeing a lot of instances where the symbols couldn't load, and when I look at the load information it is saying things like:

C:\WINNT\assembly\GAC_32\mscorlib\2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\mscorlib.pdb: Cannot find or open the PDB file.

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\mscorlib.pdb: Cannot find or open the PDB file.

C:\WINNT\symbols\dll\mscorlib.pdb: Cannot find or open the PDB file.

C:\WINNT\dll\mscorlib.pdb: Cannot find or open the PDB file.

C:\WINNT\mscorlib.pdb: Cannot find or open the PDB file.

I have searched my entire drive for this symbol file (and others) but it is nowhere to be found.

So now I am posting on a MSDN forum trying to see where I can get the PDBs from.

For reference, the thread I am watching on MSDN is

http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/ShowPost.aspx?postid=1191751&siteid=1

Former Member
0 Kudos

Arrrg ... the PDBs may still be the issue but mscorlib turns out to be a windows library and of course we wouldn't have debug information for that.

Still digging.

former_member55105
Participant
0 Kudos

Sheldon,

I finally get the debugging work.

The problem was with two options namely the Vendor and Security.

I go to the Project Par Properties of the Project in Visual Studio -> see that the information for PAR Name, Vendor and Security Area are correct.

PAR Name : Name of the .PAR file

Security Area : Netweaver Portal

Vendor : The vendor name that you give while creating an iView in SAP EP

Once I did these changes, all the PDB files and symbols are loaded. And the debugging worked fine.

Points plz...if helpful ...

Regards,

Vijay.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Glad you got yours working!

Unfortunately this didn't seem to work for me ... but perhaps I don't have the values set correctly. Perhaps you can suggest a way to verify them.

So the the Par Name is set to the name of my project

I have Include source files and Include debug information files both checked

Vendor is set to "sap.com" (wasn't sure about this one ... I never set this)

Security Area: "Netweaver.Portal"

former_member55105
Participant
0 Kudos

Let me know whether you have the Visual studio running on a client machine or the Visual Studio running on the Server where the SAP EP is installed.

In my case debugging is working on the server machine. I am still trying to get it work on the client machine.

One more thing, in the Visual Studio, Go to Debug -> Attach Process. You have to attach a process called epsrv.exe which will be running if you have SAP EP browser open on your machine.

Now set a break point in your code and start the application in SAP EP Browser, and then the control must stop at the break point which you have set.

Let me know if you have any issues.

-Vijay.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Vijay,

I am running on a client and trying to debug there too.

Now that I understand that you are debugging on the server it makes a lot more sense.

I'll try this out over the weekend and let you know.

Eventually I'd also like to get client side debugging working. Baby steps

-Sheldon

ps. <grin> .. I haven't forgotten about the points ...

rima-sirich
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Sheldon,

1. Are all projects in your solution configured to be built in Debug mode ?

2. The advanced build settings (Project properties|Build Tab|Output group|Advanced button)

specifies the debug info to be generated during builds. Verify that Debug Info setting is set to Full.

Regards,

Rima.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rima,

Thanks for the suggestions.

RE: 1) - yes all project (in my test solution there is only one) are configured to be built in debug mode

RE: 2) - Double checked that the debug info is set to Full

perhaps it is a permissions thing (though I don't see how)

FYI my invironment is as follows

Win 2K Pro is my OS

VS 2005 Team System

PDK V2.5 as well as the .NET Connector V 2.0

Runtime engine located on a separate system

EP 6 running on j2EE V6.40

former_member55105
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Sheldon,

Let me know whether yor able to debug the .NET PDK application from client machine.

-Vijay

rima-sirich
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Sheldon,

Well, your configuration is a little bit problematic as Windows 2000 is officially not

supported by PDK 2.5 for .NET.

By the way, do you succeed to debug a regular ASP .NET application ?

Regards,

Rima.

rima-sirich
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Sheldon,

You can read about debugging in PDK 2.5 for .NET <a href="https://www.sdn.sap.comhttp://www.sdn.sap.comhttp://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/developerareas/dotnet?rid=/lw/uuid/95628888-0d01-0010-7d97-f0d771999d0f">here</a> in

Programming with PDK for .NET -> Previewing and Debugging Portal Applications ->

Debugging Portal Applications.

Regards,

Rima.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for passing this on .... seems to be something deeper though as I have followed all documenation and the problem remains