Did you mean: 

Compression rates out of date

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We did an Online Backup in our system. The backup was a success with message:

<b>BR0053I BRBACKUP completed successfully with warnings</b>

Since there is a warning, i checked the log and found out about this message:

<b>BR0083W Compression rates out of date - run BRBACKUP with option '-k only</b>

i want to know how to correct this and what was the cause of the error?

Thanks and regards,

Gelyne'

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the advise. Doing your suggestion, how would i point my activity - compression, using DB13 in such a way that it will read the new profile (initEQ0_compress.sap) that i'll create? Can you give me specific instruction?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Gelyne

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Pl do the following to eliminate the said warning.This worked for me n hope it works for u also.

Run BRTOOLS in cmd prompt

Select option4(Backup and Database Copy)

Select option8(Additional functions)

Select option1(Update Compression Rate)

Running this will remove the said error.

Hope this helps.

Pl dont forget to award a point.

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Gelyne,

Check the profile being used by BRBACKUP - 'initEQ0.sap'. In my experience, I've preferred to make a copy of this profile, create a profile just for compression "initEQ0_compress.sap" and then schedule it monthly in DB13.

In the 'new' profile, you've already nailed the profile changes:

backup_type=online

compress=only

You could also experiment with parallelization of the process:

exec_parallel=2

What's odd is that you are trying to compress the mirror logs, which should NOT happen. Have you updated the BRTOOLS on this server? I'm curious if there might be a bug at work here.

-Tim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Siddhesh,

Eventhough the warning can be ignored, still i need to eliminate the warnings present in my logs. Actually, i executed the ffg to update the compression rate of the server:

<b>brbackup -u / -t online -k only -c</b>

Unfortunately, during the process, there's an error again that occured:

<i>#FILE..... /oracle/EQ0/sapdata2/sr3_7/sr3.data7 4.9887:1 420379201

BR0280I BRBACKUP time stamp: 2007-02-03 22.44.30

BR0063I 34 of 42 files processed - 73240.266 MB of 87249.773 MB done

BR0204I Percentage done: 83.94%, estimated end time: 23:50

BR0001I ******************************************________

BR0201I Compressing /oracle/EQ0/origlogA/cntrl/cntrlEQ0.dbf

BR0278E Command output of 'LANG=C compress -c /oracle/EQ0/origlogA/cntrl/cntrlEQ0.dbf | /usr/sap/EQ0/SYS/exe/run/brtools -f getcompr -':/oracle/EQ0/origlogA/cntrl/cntrlEQ0.dbf: Invalid argument

BR0280I BRBACKUP time stamp: 2007-02-03 22.44.30

BR0279E Return code from 'LANG=C compress -c /oracle/EQ0/origlogA/cntrl/cntrlEQ0.dbf | /usr/sap/EQ0/SYS/exe/run/brtools -f getcompr -': 5

BR0224E Compressing /oracle/EQ0/origlogA/cntrl/cntrlEQ0.dbf to BRTOOLS failed due to previous errors

BR0115I Compression rate for all files 4.7555:1

BR0056I End of database backup: bdunmzdh.cmb 2007-02-03 23.09.19

BR0280I BRBACKUP time stamp: 2007-02-03 23.09.20

BR0054I BRBACKUP terminated with errors</i>

-

Please help.

Thanks and regards,

Gelyne

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Found the following in <b>SAP Note 17163 - BRARCHIVE/BRBACKUP messages and codes</b>

BR0083W Compression rates out of date - run BRBACKUP with option '-k only'.

BR0083W Kompressionsraten veraltet - starten Sie BRBACKUP mit Option '-k only'.

Explanation: The last simulated backup with compression to determine the compression rates (compress = only or option -k only) was started more than a year ago.

This is a warning that is only issued when hardware compression is activated (compress = hardware or option -k hardware). This message is also displayed the first time BRBACKUP Version 3.0 is started, regardless of when the last simulated backup with compression took place.

Program reaction: The old compression rates are accepted or, if none are available, the default values are used.

User action: You can continue processing.

Start the detection of the compression rate (compress = only or option -k only) on a regular basis so that the most recent compression rates are available to BRBACKUP.