cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAPLPD network printers default to local printers

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have recently started to experience a problem with printouts from SAP where the user selects a network printer using LOCL output device (SAPLPD). The output is spooled on the local default printer instead of the network printer spool in the user desktop.

We have not updated kernel or SAP code recently. We have recently installed the latest Microsoft updates (Win 2003 Server).

Any similar experiences?

Thank you

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ricardo,

Makes sense. Something else to try then. Define this printer thru SAP and have the user attempt the same printout with the SAP defined printer, so that the spool request is sent thru SAP and it's printer drivers. This can impact printout performance and layout becasue iof the extra layer of formatting. You'll skip the gui level processing here instead.

At least this way, you can narrow down some of the options - here specifically the impact of SAP printer drivers vs the user's local printer drivers.

Let me know how you do - I'd like to understand the solution myself. Thanks Ricardo.

-Tim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Tim.

We have already implemented a workaround solution like the one you suggest. We have received two new support request from different users with the same trouble. I believe this has something to do with recent Micosoft updates.

I will post any solution I may find.

Ricardo

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you are speaking of the default printer for the local user, if they are using a windows client and the printer is part of the Windows printer pool, switch the default printer in Windows.

If the printer is a network printer with just an IP address, then that can be changed in SAP.

What do you need?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ricardo,

LOCL printing does not perform any formating of the output in SAP. I'm not sure what the issue is you are facing nor what you were seeing before to make this an issue.

From an SAP perspective, a user who uses LOCL as their default or selected printer will not have any formatting / layout adjustements as you can do in the case of a network printer. Remember that the path change for the spool request is significant - LOCL passes from SAP to the client right to the printer. A netwrok printer passes the spool request back to the SAP applciation server and the server submits the spool request to the printe with whatever formatting is configured for that output request.

You said that the LOCL is used instead of the network printer - did someone by chance change (or set) the users' default printer in say SU01 or SU10?

Just some thoughts on what to check. Please let me know how you make out.

-Tim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Tim.

On this case, by network printer I mean a network printer that is defined in the user local windows printers system not in SAP output devices. The user creates an SAP output from SAP selecting LOCL output device in SAP and selecting a printer defined in his local windows system. When the output is processed by SAPLPD or SAPSPRINT, it is spooled to a different printer.

I have already used different SAPGUI patch levels including the latests.

I believe that this behavior may have something to do with very large printouts. I have been able to reproduce it only with some large outputs.