cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading Remote Excel Sheets using JDBC-ODBC bridge

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can anyone please let me know, as to how I can read an Excel sheet located on a remote server using the Jdbc-Odbc bridge (with or without DSN)? In case I use a DSN, do I have to create the same DSN both in the server running the WAS as well as the server on which the Excel sheet is located? I have tried connecting (without using DSN) using the remote file name, but it does not work. However as soon as I use the local path (i.e. the same excel sheet located in the WAS server) it works. I would really appreciate some help in this regard.

Thanks,

Shibendra

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Look at this weblog it might help.

/people/nagamohan.devisetty/blog/2006/07/31/reading-excel-sheet-from-java-without-using-any-framework

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anu,

I have infact referred to this blog to implement the code. But as you can see, it reads a local excel sheet, which works fine for me too. But this same code does not work when i try to access a remote excel sheet on another server. Do you know of any workaround for that (with or without using DSN)?

Thanks,

Shibendra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Shibendra,

Actually, anything besides mapping network drive will be problematic with Excel (O/J)DBC source. So if you can't map network drive to simplify your task I' suggest you just to transfer Excel file first and then work localy.

Valery Silaev

SaM Solutions

http://www.sam-solutions.net

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Valery,

Thanks for that tip. Actually I have tried mapping the remote folder and then accessing the excel sheet using the mapped drive, but it does not work. The connection object still returns null. I was wondering if it was actually a file permissions issue. Should the user j2eadm have full control/read access to the remote excel sheet to actually read it? Also is there any other way, apart from using JDBC-odbc bridge, that may help me access the remote excel sheet from my webdynpro application?

Thanks,

Shibendra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

With regards to this problem, I have discovered that when I try to access the remote excel sheet from a standalone java application using JDBC-ODBC bridge it is successful. However the application fails when the same code is used within webdynpro? I was wondering if it is because the j2eadm user does not exist on the server hosting the excel sheet. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Shibendra