cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference Between Fix Values and Value Mapping

Former Member
0 Kudos

what is the difference between Fix Values and Value Mapping.

As far as I can see they both do the same thing so what is the advantages or disadvantages between the two

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Look at it this way...

Fix values are part of your mapping object....if you want to change/add/delete..the object has to be changed and moved across your landscape...

Value mapping is outside the repository ..it is configuration done using ID...

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

deepu but you would still need to go into the ID to change anyway so isn't one just as bad as the other

Former Member
0 Kudos

Bhavesh,

I think <b>value mapping</b> is general term which has different flavors and FixValues is one of them.

Ricardo,

Please go through the https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/9202d890-0201-0010-1588-adb...

page num 76 to 80 to understand it.

thanks,

Pooja

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Pooja,

I agree it is a generic term!

But in the context here, the discussion is between Value Mapping Maintained In the integration directory and the Fix values function available under Conversion function in the graphical mapping.

Regards

Bhavesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

i am fully with you as far as your explanation is concerned for <i><u>Value Mapping Maintained In the integration directory and the Fix values function available under Conversion function in the graphical mapping.</u></i>

but when i see simple words like "FixValues" and "ValueMapping" then i prefer to understand it in subset--superset concept.

Anyway, i liked to read the information provided by you.

Thanks,

Pooja

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

FixValues you save up the value in your Integration repository itself. This provides a problem when you want to change the values in the production environment as you need to go to the mapping and change the value.

In value mapping, you save up the values in the Integration Directory and so this provides for an environment indepent way of using values.

Regards

Bhavesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

I sort of see your point but in production you would need to go to the tables in the ID anyway so isnt this the same thing

Former Member
0 Kudos

It should not be treated the same...Treat it like how you would have the communication channel details in production different from DEV/QA...

Also...another difference...

Fix values are staright one to one mapping...it is like a key value pair...

however, with value mapping you qualifiers/attributes attached to the values being mapped....which becomes more relevant when working with external partners...

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ricardo,

You can always make changes in the Integration Directory in production as Integration Directory objects ( the comm channels and the business systems ) vary across landscapes.

But integration respository content is the same across all landscapes and so you cannot / should not makes any changes directly in production ,but rather move the objects from Dev to QA and then to Prod. So, to make a change in FIX VALUE you need to change the mapping and then make the migration.

In case of value mapping, as values are maintained in the integration directory, no changes need to be done to your mapping.

Regards

Bhavesh