cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BW OS Migration & Upgrade

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are planning to migrate the OS of BW 3.1 from AIX to HP-UX.I have only referred the link http://service.sap.com/osdbmigration

Apart from this is there any other links where I will be able to get more info on this.Also in planning guide for OS/DB migration the things mentioned are regarding different R/3 release.Where I will be able to get the supportability of OS/DB migration for 3.1 version of BW ?

We are planning for 2 activities in future

1.OS migration from AIX to HP-UX

2.BW version upgrade from BW 3.1 to BI 7.0

Which will be best way to do this ? First OS migration and then upgrade or vice versa ?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vinayak,

You may also want to check SAP Note 82478 - R/3 OS/DB migration

Although, it doesn't speak about any technical stuff, it does have some related Notes that you may find interesting.

Also , to my opinion, its best you carry out a OS Migration first before you perform BW Upgrade.

Regards,

Siddhesh

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vinayak,

you can upgrade the system before the migration only if BI 7.0 is supported on your AIX release.

However, I would perform the OS/DB migration before the upgrade because the target hardware is supposed to be faster than the source, so your upgrade could be shorter.

Additionally, doing the migration before you could avoid the database upgrade, if it is requested by the release upgrade.

I mean, if your database release is not supported by BI 7.0 and you want to perform the upgrade before the migration, you should upgrade the database, then the SAP release and finally perform the migration.

Instead, when you perform the OS/DB migration you can migrate straight to the new database release and then upgrade the SAP release.

Finally, you should allow at least one month between the final migration and the upgrade.

Bye

Former Member
0 Kudos

Vinayak,

We are performing a Homogenious OS/DB migration (moving to a new server) on AIX and Oracle. The notes I've found to date from the Homo/Herto guide as well as the install guides (we are using R3Load method) are as follows:

General Notes

•971646 - 6.40 Patch Collection Hom./Het.System Copy ABAP

•771209 - NW04: System copy (supplementary note)

•548016 - Conversion to Unicode

•130906 - How can versions be transported?

•82478 - R/3 OS/DB migration (used in Heterogeneous system copies)

•936441 - Oracle settings for R3load based system copy

•864861 - ORACLE DIRECT PATH LOAD SUPPORT IN R3LOAD 6.40 AND ABOVE

•672651 - OCS: Known problems with Support Packages in Basis Rel.6.40

BW/BI Specific Notes

•886102 - System Landscape Copy for SAP BW 2.X, 3.X and NW2004s BI

•184447 - Building a BW-system landscape

•369758 - BDLS: New functions and better performance

•558746 - Better Oracle Data Dictionary BW Performance

•524554 - Storing destinations in the BW environment

•901592 - Inconsistent change log tables after migration

I too would get your 3.1 version to a OS/DB platform that is supported by your BI 7.0 taget. Please keep in mind that with such a jump, you may end up in a situation where your OS/DB platform is not supported. Map out each move carefully to know your risks better.

Hope this helps. Happy reading.

-Tim