cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to install/start local J2EE engine in Netweaver Developer Studido

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I just installed NDS 2.0.11 and I'm having a heck of a time figuring out how to actually test my code.

Went thru tutorial for creating Calculator J2EE sample. When I get to step that describes how to deploy the EAR I get error below. I've gone into Windows|Preferences|SAP J2EE Enginee section thinking I could configure/start engine from there but I can't figure out what to do.

I've searched these forums and the NDS help files with no luck.

I didn't get any prompts during install asking me whether or not I wanted to install a local J2EE engine.

Has anyone run into this and do they know the answer. ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

David

Mar 9, 2005 11:36:49 AM /userOut/deploy (com.sap.ide.eclipse.sdm.threading.DeployThreadManager) [Thread[Deploy Thread,5,main]] ERROR:

[002]Deployment aborted

Deployment exception : Cannot determine sdm host (is empty). Please configure your engine/sdm correctly !

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member198228
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello David,

If you installed local J2EE, on your desktop there should be an icon for SAP management console. Open that, expand the node and you can do a start and restart from there.

You can also start and stop it from your developer studio. Go to window/show view/other/J2EE/and choose J2EE engine. Now you will see a tab on you lower right hand panel showing the status of the j2ee engine. Right click on it and you should see an option for restarting

Hope that helps

Abdul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Abdul,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I don't have an icon on my desktop or in the "Netweaver Developer Studio" Program group for SAP Management Console.

I did go to the J2EE enginee view as you described. However, it only shows a Remote engine node.

Went into Window|Preferences|SAP J2EE Enginee and chose the "SAP J2EE engine is installeed on local host" radio button. Then clicked on Browse button which gave me the error below.

Makes me think that it's not installed locally but I don't know HOW to install it.

Any ideas?

The error msg was:

No local engine could be found!

Reason: No system could be found under
mycomputernamee\sapmt

Please configure your engine as remote host installation

See error log for more information

but got ee right-clicking on the Remote Engine

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ignore last sentence of previous post. Forgot to delete that line.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The weird thing is that I installed a trial version of 2.0.4 early last winter on another machinee and on that one it DOES have the management console.

During the install of 2.0.11 I saw no place where I could indicate whether to install the J2EE engine or not.

I'd appreciate any help with this.

Thanks!

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well, finally got everything installed OK. Ended up doing install from some DVDs I got from one of our BASIS guys.

The DVDs were:

Installation Master DVD-#51030843

SAP Web AS Java-DVD-#51030724

Thanks everyone for your replies.

David

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI David,

Now the Best Bet is downloading freshly from the follwoing link https://www.sdn.sap.com/sdn/developerareas/was.sdn?node=linkDnode6

Download Sneak preview version(90days trial version)

(Uninstall older ones completely delete old workspace)

Best of Luck hope this time you will be successfull installing both WAS/NWDS

Regards,

RK

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hallo Krishna,

can you tell me what you mean by "uninstall older ones completely delete old workspace"?

I ask because I first tried to install the new SDN download and it stopped at the penultimate phase, "Start SAP J2EE Engine".

So I bought the SAP book with the WAS 64 SP9 dvd and installed that but it stopped earlier in the phase "Load Java Database Content".

So I uninstalled it choosing a "complete" uninstall and retried the SDN installation. Now, the SDN installation stops at the same place as the SAP book one.

So I dont know how to uninstall completely enough.

David

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello David,

Just to cross check as you dont have the SAP Management Console icon on your desktop, can you verify if there is a file mmc.exe in your C:\WINDOWS\system32 directory?

If this file is not there then probably the J2EE engine installation has not succeeded.

Regards,

Manish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Manish,

I checked the WINNT\SYSTEM32 folder and the mmc.exe IS there.

When I launch it, though, all I see in the Tree tab is "Console Root". There is nothing underneath it as I would expect.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you have installed SAP WAS/NWDS is it WAS is installed Locally or remotely if it is local have set Host(localhost) and Port(3601) if it is remote remote host and port.after this in NWDS windows->prefferences->J2EE enigne you will see dispatcher,server in green colour this indicates your server is up you can start doveloping projects/applications in NWDS.

Installing J2EE enginee means both NWDS and WAS will be installed in single standalone machine , if it is remote J2EE enine installed in different machine and studio in other machine which is your case???

depending upon J2EE local or remote change Host and port in NWDS check server is up and start doveloping any application simple java to ejb,webdyunpro etc..

I Hope your problem is solved

If you still have any problem let me know i can help you

Regards,

RK

Former Member
0 Kudos

RK,

I installed NDS 2.0.11 from the following file: JIDE11_0-10002804.SAR

As I said before, when installing it there was no point that I was asked to choose between installing or NOT installing J2EE engine.

I have gone into Windows|Preferences|J2EE Engine as you indicated. Please see my earlier post for info about what happened there.

So bottom line, I'm no further than I was before. I still don't seem to have a local J2EE engine and I have no clue what I need to do in order to get it installed.

What's frustrating is that there aren't better instructions. For example, I'd have expected there to be some kind of install instructions saying something like "If you want to test locally, do this"

Maybe those instructions DO exist somewhere and I just don't know where to look.

Please help. : )

David

former_member198228
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi David,

If you installed from that sar file, then you only installed the Developer Studio. You need to download the j2ee engine sar files(there are 4 files) from service marketplace and install your engine. Then you will be able to deploy to your local engine.

Regards

Abdul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Abdul,

Someone else told me that too and after much searching I found and downloaded these four files:

J2EERT11_0-10001982.SAR

J2EERTOS11_0-20000118.SAR

SAPINST11_0-20000118.sar

CTRLSAPDB11_0-20000118.sar

I've uncompressed them using SAPCAR and now I'm stuck again because I don't see any install instructions anywhere.

I must be missing something here. It just doesn't seem like it should be this complicated. I would expect that there would be some procedure you could follow and it would explain to you what your optitons are and what to do for each one.

If there are such procedures I'd really, really appreciate it if someone could direct me to them.

Also, when I installed NDS 2.0.4 last fall I didn't have to go through all this. It installed the J2EE engine automatically. When/why did SAP disconnect the installs?

Thanks!

David.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David,

I'd also recommend that you download and have a look at the corresponding installation guide for Web AS Java. The different installation options are described there.

To find the guide, go to http://service.sap.com/instguidesnw04 -> Installation -> Web AS -> SAP Web AS 6.40 SR1 and Related Documentation -> ==Choose your DB platform== and choose the guide for your operating system on the next page.

Regards,

Ivo

former_member198228
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello David,

Those are the correct sar files. You need to run the sapinst.exe from the sapinst subfolder after you unsar those files.

You probably downloaded the sneak preview Netweaver developer workplace (this includes both the engine and the studio). SAP has not discontinued this. You can still download this sneak preview edition and it will install everything for you.

Regards

Abdul

Former Member
0 Kudos

OK, this is getting REALLY, REALLY frustrating. I went to the guides section and found some documentation for NDS but it's for version 2.0.4.

This shouldn't be THIS difficult. There has to be some place that serves as a starting point for someone who wants to find out what steps are necessary to install NDS with the J2EE engine locally.

Please help. Either I am really stupid or others must have gone through this pain and gotten past it.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks.

David

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can you please go through this link

http://sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/com.sap.km.cm.docs/documents/a1-8-4/sap web as java 6.40 faq.htm

<b>This Document Provides Answers to Frequently Asked Questions About:

Install and Uninstall</b>

Hope this may help you

RK

Former Member
0 Kudos

RK,

Thanks for the link. It did help a little. I found some of the errors on that page and it helped me get past them.

The last issue I had run into was issue 1-13. So I created a new user on my laptop and gave it admin rights.

The install got a little further but now it's stuck again. Here are the messages from the install log:

SAPinst is getting started.

Please be patient ...

guiengine: no GUI connected; waiting for a connection on host TAGname, port 21212 to continue with the installation

guiengine: login in process

WARNING: Could not read file control.xml. Please make sure that you called SAPinst with the correct control file (the control file is given to SAPinst as its first command line parameter or as value of the command line property SAPINST_CONTROL_URL)

ERROR Could not create DOM from control.xml

Exit status of child: 1

Any ideas?

I started the install process by running SAPinst.exe. When the installation window opened I chose

SAP NetWeaver '04 Support Release 1

Java System

MaxDB

Developer Workplace

SAP Netweaver Developer Workplace Installation

Thanks in advance for help!

Former Member