cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Master Data..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can any one give me a beautiful definition of Master Data.

Thanks,

Satish

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (8)

Answers (8)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Master Data is the data upon which all transactions depend.It is the core of Business Process.In SAP Landscape the data which rarely changes is termed as the Master Data.

In SAP we have 4 types of master data viz

1.Employee

2.Customer

3.Vendor/Supplier

4.Material

<b>NB: we ie the service providers never own the MASTER DATA...The client owns the Master Data</b>

rajesh_chavan
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Satish,

You maintain data on business partners with whom your company has a business relationship in master records. Master records contain all data necessary for processing business transactions. This is known as master data.

Structure of master data represents how the system should perform in the future. It is a highest level of dat and thus it has a largest effect on the standerd business process.

Refer attached link for more info...

<a href="http://www.b-eye-network.com/view/2918">http://www.b-eye-network.com/view/2918</a>

Hope this will help you to understand better...

RC

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Satish,

To add a different perspective to all this i will say:

Master Data have many definitions but from an organisation point of view it's the data which gives information about every entities present in the organisation or reelated to the organisation.

It is the data that forms the base for every transaction done in the organisation.it's an asset of the organisation which helps driving the business.

Every organisation maintains master data in different category depending on the nature of the entities.for eg: Employee master which holds the information about every employee,Customer master for every customer the organisation have, material master for every material the organisation manufacture or procures.

Hope this have cleared ur picture abt the Master Data.

Reward me if u find this blog helpful.

Thanks & regards

Deepankar

former_member182007
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Heii Satish,

Master data drives the transaction data. The data which dependent on it and Runs the business.

Lots of master data object we can have in business as Customer, Material etc.

Deepak

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Satish,

Master data is the data on which all the other business transactions depend.

As it plays an important role in driving any business it needs to be mananged very precisely and systematically.

Thanks,

Minaz

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Master data is data that rarely changes.

This data should be same throughout as it affects the business processes.

It should not contain any duplicates and should be consistent enough.

In R/3 we have various master data like Customer,Material,Product,Employee,

Product,Vendor,Business partner.

I hope this helps you.

Regards

Nisha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Satish,

The data which refers for your/our requirement is called Master data.

In mechanical terminology, master is called template with certain specifications (technical & functional).

Coming to our SAP R/3 terminology, the data which we can be useful for all requirements like creating purchase order, sales order, etc.

In SAP R/3 , we have different types master data like,

Material master,

Customer Master,

Vendor Master, and

Employee Master.

I hope this will be wealth answer..

Best regards

Bala

Former Member
0 Kudos

Master Data describes non-transactional information related to key areas of the business such as customers, products, suppliers or employees.

Master Data is also referred to as "reference data". The support tables (check tables in R/3 lingo) also constitute master data for a given organization.

David Loshin describes in a detailed text as "Master data sets are synchronized copies of core business entities used in traditional or analytical applications across the organization, and subjected to enterprise governance policies, along with their associated metadata, attributes, definitions, roles, connections and taxonomies. This covers all the traditional master data sets: customers, products, employees, vendors, parts, policies and activities."

Master data is usually stored in multiple, disconnected systems/databases.

SAP MDM relates Master Data representation as a unified and consistent view of master data within a system landscape.

Hope this helps Satish!

Savi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Savi,

Thank you very much for your explanation. It is help full to me.

Thanks,

Satish.