cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration of SYSTEM from DMTS to LMTS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We are using SAP R/3 4.6C, 4.6D_EXT 2271, Oracle 9.2.0.5, HP-UX 11.23.

Planing Oracle Upgrade to 10g.

On the test environment, I've migrated (except PSAPBTABD/PSAPBTABI - import is going on) all other tablespaces from Dictionary to Locally managed, except PSAPTEMP, PSAPROLL and SYSTEM.

I will change the PSAPTEMP and will create new PSAPUNDO tablespace.

<b>Does anyone has experience with migration of the SYSTEM tablespace?</b>

I've read the Note 706625 - Oracle9i: Locally managed SYSTEM tablespace, and Note 748434 - New BRSPACE function "dbcreate" - recreate database.

I found one caution A new database ID number is created by the re-creation of the database which is the basis of the SYSTEM tablespace.

This means that existing "RFC Trusted System" relationships are invalid and must be set up again.

Where can I see if the trusted system is set? (I looked at sm59 and there were no trusted R/3 connections except one test TRUSTING_SYSTEM@DEV_DEV)

Thanks you in advance.

Many regards,

Ruzica

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

You can use the TABLESPACE_MIGRATE_TO_LOCAL procedure of the DBMS_SPACE_ADMIN package to migrate the SYSTEM tablespace from dictionary-managed to a locally managed tablespace.

The following conditions must be met before the migration:

The database must have a default temporary tablespace that is not SYSTEM

If you are using rollback segments:

There are no rollback segments in dictionary-managed tablespaces

There is at least one online rollback segment in a locally managed tablespace

If you are using automatic undo management, an undo tablespace must be online

All tablespaces, other than the tablespace containing rollback segments or undo segments, must be in read-only mode

The database must be in RESTRICTED mode

EXECUTE DBMS_SPACE_ADMIN.TABLESPACE_MIGRATE_TO_LOCAL('SYSTEM');

Regards

Vinod

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm afraid that, even when the using TABLESPACE_MIGRATE_TO_LOCAL is possible, option is not supported by SAP ( see note 706625 and 105047 )

The SAP recommended method is indicated on the note 748434

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vinod,

I know that this oracle procedure with DBMS_SPACE_ADMIN package is not supported by SAP. That's why I'm affraid to use it.

Do you have experiance using this package for SAP tablespaces?

Regards,

Ruzica

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have read all Notes connected with SYSTEM migration and the "Create new database"/"Recreate database". There is one caution 5: <u><i>If you are already using the Automatic Segment Space Management (ASSM), it is essential that you refer to note 799693.</i></u>

ORA errors may occur after using dbcreate: Note 799693 - ORA-600[4097] / [4000] after brspace dbcreate (regarding Oracle 9.2.0.5 which we are using).

I'm not sure what to do.

What if I migrate all user tablespaces from DMTS into LMTS <u><b>except SYSTEM</b></u>, create default temporary tablespace, and the automatic undo management, can I proceed with Oracle upgrade to Oracle 10g with SYSTEM tablespace still with DMTS and after the Oracle upgrade to start the brspace dbcreate for SYSTEM?

Regards,

Ruzica

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ruzica,

I wonder if you have migrated SYSTEM tablespace from DMTS to LMTS? And, any problems encounter if you have done that? I have all user tablespaces migrated to LMTS and going to perform on SYSTEM tablespace.Would love to hear from your experience.

Regards,

Annie

Answers (0)