cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IA32 patch for SAP on AMD Opteron.....Urgent!!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please do bear with my ignorance.

There is a small consuion which evolved out of a discussion or debate or arguement anything we can call it as. We need to upgarde the IGS 6.40 of NW 2004 to the latest patch level(patch 18). The system is installed in VMWare, showing AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 275 (2 CPUs) 2.2GHz. The OS is MS Windows Server 2003 Standard edition (Not 64bit).

When I checked in the market place, we can see the patches only for Windows IA32, Windows IA64 and Windows x64. Now it is pretty confusing if we can download the patch for IA32 (since that is the only available for 32bit windows).

Can anyone explain the differences please. Well IA is for intel architecture (if I am not wrong). Will downloading IA32 patch cause any issues on the SAP installed on AMD ???

Please do explain the differnce. I need to do this soon.

Regards,

P. Kumaravel.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The architecture Name IA32 was introduced by Microsoft when finding the right name for the new X86_64 64 Bit architecture. Our product management adopted this name for the former used I386 / Ntintel. But meanwhile you find it also in used in wikipedia etc.

I for myself find this confusing, but

IA32 is the same architecture as NTintel, NTI386, X86, which is also supported by AMD.

Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

So if I understand it correct, IA32 patches apply for all 32bit systems in SAP SP`s right? for one simple reason that the only avalable option for 32bit windows systems is Windows Server on IA32 no matter on what processor it is installed??

Regards,

P. Kumaravel.

Former Member
0 Kudos

YES!

As the CPUs are binary compatible there is no need for a differentiation in AMD and Intel Processors.

Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a bunch Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

sorry for closing the thread very late.