cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Effects of Key Mapping and Unique & Display Field settings on Performance

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All!

I know from the Console Reference guide that setting the Sort Index for a field to "Normal" as opposed to "None" when it really isn't needed is a big drag on performance. However, is there any documentation or does anyone know of the effects of Key Mapping and Unique & Display Field settings? We have several tables set up for Remote Mapping though not all are being used. Most are currently being used purely for converting legacy data, but would not be used once we go into production and new records are created. Also, some fields are set to be Unique when the records are matched on other fields and not these fields.

Your thoughts, knowledge and experience are appreciated.

Don

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

michael_theis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Donald,

the import and update of key mapping is in general a bit slower than the import of normal data. So I'd recommend to use key mapping only in those places, where it is really required. Nevertheless the performance issues will be improved in upcoming MDM releases.

If you have set fields to be unique, the Import Manager has to check the values during the import. This has of course some impacts on the performance depending on the amount of data you want to load.

The display fields shouldn't play any role at all in the import. It just a configuration settings to enable the visibility of look up fields in the data manager.

Kind regards

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Michael,

I liked your explaination.

Thank You Michael for the post.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Once again, you've brought valuable insights. This is exactly the type of information that will be valuable to helping me optimize our system. Thank you!

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello:

I've seen that the more Display Fields, Lookup tables etc will have effects on your performance. I don't know how many tables are "several" but if we are talking about 20 - 30 don't expect to see a huge leap on performance on the Data Manager.

The most demanding activity on MDM is the Import Data on the initial load. There, you will see a big difference when having different lookup tables / display fields. If you did import your data with no problems, I don't think you'll encounter any issues afterwards.

I hope this helps

Alejandro

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you, Alejandro. I realise that the initial load is/will be a drag. But they are using a LOT of remote mapping to get their data in, so I can't control that. Once they are, however, I want to speed loading and record processing. This performance info will really help.