cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Separating Oracle database according to Company Code

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am looking for a solution for my company which has 8 plants, 3 of them are shut down and now 5 plants are active.

So inorder to reduce the size of the database(total size is 1TB, with the DR setup the cost seems to be high to maintain!) is there a way these 3 plants data can be separated from the rest active 5 plants data according to company code ?

We are at SAP R/3 4.6C, kernel 4.6D, Oracle 9.2.0.5 on HP-UX 11.0.

Any suggestion related to this will be greatly appreciated.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Afreena,

You must consider , data archiving.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/ad/b594429d7c0631e10000000a1550b0/frameset.htm

Regards,

Siddhesh

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Option -2: This are purely SAP inbuilt development tools for data loading/migration tools which is well-known by ABAP developers.

Option -3: This is done by SAP consultants and few SAP partners like Accenture, IBM, TCS, etc..

Regards

Madhu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Madhu,

For the valuable info.

I am curious about option 2. How that procedure works ? What will be the role of ABAP developers and BASIS person on that ? any reference of the porcedure you can provide me please .

Thanks.

Afreena

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

For case -2, if customer wants to have two systems, then there are three options:

Option-1: Make a system copy of original system.. And perform archive, delete & reorg on both the systems..

--> This is time consuming.. But if time is not an issue, then you can schedule archival job for archiving and deleting.. For reorg you can use non-office hrs

Option-2: Full fledged implementation using SAP standard tools for migration - BDC, LSMW.. For sure this will be cost-effective solution

Option-3: SAP migration tools.. This is considered as SLO (System Landscape Optimization).. You can get useful information in http://service.sap.com/slo

Regards

Madhu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Madhu,

This is helping me alot.

Option 2: any references to these tools like procedures, docs, oss notes ??

Option 3: This is SAP chargeable services, right ?

Thanks.

Afreena

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Let me understand your question..

Case -1: Is it that you want to delete the data of 3 plants from your primary SAP system ?

Case -2: Or you want to have two SAP systems with one system with 3 plants & other system with 5 plants ??

For case-1, you can use archival concept to archive, delete & reorg to reduce storage space in your system..

For case-2, you have to use migration tools to seperate out data..

Regards

Madhu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Madhu,

Thanks for your reply.

I can go with case 1 or case 2. The decision will be make upon which is cost effective.

Case 2: Could you please give me an idea if I want to make 2 SAP system out of one(R/3 4.6C, Oracle 9i, Hp-UX), what migration tools SAP offers (OR are you talking about 3rd party tools). So this will be at the database level separation, right ? Could you give me any references on the documents available ?

Thanks again.

Afreena

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Siddhesh,

Thanks for your helpful reply. I'll definitely go through the concepts of Data Archiving as I am not familier with it that much.

Have a question is it possible to Archive data according to the company code(say, for all the data for 3 plants ) from the database or is it only possible to Archive data on application layer ?

I know there are some archiving going on like :

CO-ITEM -- 3 yrs+current are online,

RL_TA -- 7months+current are online,

IDOC -- 4months+current are online

MM_MATBEL7months+current are online,

MC_S033 --- 7months+current are online,

JIT_SJCALL --- 6months+current are online

Thanks.

Afreena Akhtar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Just want make sure my question has been understood and if anyone can help with this. Looking for a solution either in database level or application level.

Is it possible to divide a oracle database according to company code at the database level ? Like even if, it need to use any 3rd party tool ? and is there any 3rd party tool anyone know exists which does that ?

Is it possible to divide a oracle database/Archive according to company code in application level so that the complete data for a plant can be archived ?

Thanks.

Afreena Akhtar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Afreena,

Archiving by company code or plant depends on the archiving object. Each archive object is different. For most finance objects, the data can be archived by company code. With the exception of some of the CO* objects. That data can cross company codes, so you may need to leave that data in the system. There are also archive objects that can be archived by plant, sales organization, purchasing organization, etc. You can check the selection criteria for the write job in each relavant archive object to see what is available.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Karin Tillotson

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Karin,

Thanks So much for taking the time to answer my question.

I am very new to archiving concept.

Could you please suggest me where to look into so that I can quickly pickup these, specifically I am looking for any documents, procedures,OSS notes(I have access to service marketplace). We are at 4.6C now.

How can I check the selection criteria for the write job in each relavant archive object ?

Thanks Again.

Afreena

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Afreena,

To check the selection criteria for an archive write job, go to transaction SARA, enter archive object name, click on the write button, enter some test name for the variant (you do not need to save this) , click on Maintain, and this will take you to the selection criteria. Here are some examples of options for some of the standard archive objects:

Archive object Selection option

FI_DOCUMNT Company Code

EC_PCA_ITM Company Code

MM_ACCTIT Company Code

SD_VBAK Sales Org

RV_LIKP Sales Org

SD_VBRK Sales Org

MM_MATBEL Plant

MM_EBAN Plant

MM_MATNR by Plant/Storage location with OSS note 543279

PM_ORDER Plant

MM_EKKO Purchasing Org

I am not sure if this is formally documented anywhere, I put this together for my company's data archiving strategy.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Karin Tillotson

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Karin,

This is very helpful for me.

I am trying to see the size of this objects in different tables, by SARA-> giving the name of the object-> cliking on "Database tables" -> then "online space" -- can see the space in KB on tables.

Is this the efficient way to calculate roughly the space the object actually using ?

Thanks.

Afreena

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Afreena,

It depends on how you handle your "statistics". I would compare the information from DB15 with what is in DB02. The DB02 information will be more current. Within the DB15 transanction, and space statistics, you can check the Analysis date column as well to determine how current the information is.

Regards,

Karin Tillotson

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Karin,

Thanks for all the info.

I am going to study as much as possible related to Archiving this week. if I come accross any more question Or need a suggestion is it ok with you If I ask that next week ?

Thanks again.

Afreena