cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need of FCC on sender side

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey guys

i have a very basic question.wats the need of FCC on sender side?suppose i have a flat source structure,do i always need to convert this into XML before i can send it to IS or XI will do that by itself?

thanx

ahmad

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ahmad,

The Integration Engine of XI understands only XML.

So, before any message hits the Integration Engine of XI, it has to be converted into XML. and that is why you use Content Conversion on the Sender File Adapter to convert the text file into XML.

It is also possible to convert the data into XML using Java Mapping ( something that is not recommeneded ) , but, the appropriate way is to perfrom content conversion on the file adapter and make sure data coming into the Integration Engine is XML>

Regards

Bhavesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Bhavesh

so that means XI will not convert thr flat file structure to XML format by itself,i have to do that explicitly?

thanx ahmad

Shabarish_Nair
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

in case of the file adapter you will have to use FCC to convert the file to XML.

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Hey Bhavesh

> so that means XI will not convert thr flat file

> structure to XML format by itself,i have to do that

> explicitly?

> thanx ahmad

Ahmad,

Yes. You need to select the option of Content Conversion in your File adapter and give the content conversion parameters to handle the same. XI will not do this automatically.

Regards

Bhavesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanx Bhavesh

now next question which comes in my mind is,if i need to explicitly convert structures to XML,then why i dont have Content conversions for other adapters like(JDBC JMS ,Mail etc.)?

thanx

ahmad

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ahmad,

Every adapter converts the flat or nested structure to XML for processing with in XI. You desig the data type for the sender accordingly. That is the reason you have a standard structure for JDBC sender adapter.

The same is the case with other adapters.

P.S: It is possible to send even binary data to XI, but you can not do any processing on that data.

/people/william.li/blog/2006/09/08/how-to-send-any-data-even-binary-through-xi-without-using-the-integration-repository

Regards,

Jai Shankar

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ahmad,

The only adapter that does implicit coversion is JDBC! Also if you look into Sender JDBC adapter , the JDBC adapter will conveert data into a standard formart and your Source Datatyype needs to confirm to this format. You cannot customize / change the format of the source datatype for JDBC adapter.

You need to perform conent conversion using JMS and Mail Adapters if your source data is not XML . For this you use the MessageTransformBean to convert Non XML to XML.

More on this in this article,

<a href="https://www.sdn.sap.comhttp://www.sdn.sap.comhttp://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/50061bd9-e56e-2910-3495-c5faa652b710">How to Use the Content Conversion Module with the XI 3.0 J2EE JMS Adapter</a>

the Title suggest that you can use it with JMS but it can also be used with Mail Adapters.

Regards

Bhavesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanx guys,appreciate ur help

Ahmad

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

prabhu_s2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

if the flat file has the source structure of xml format then there is no need of FCC. But when it is separated by space or any other characters or any deined manner then you might need FCC for identifying the fields.

regds

Prabhu

Shabarish_Nair
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

well in case you have to do a mapping from one source to another, then you would require to convert the Flat source to a XML structure. FCC facilitates the conversion of a flat structure to XML as per your req.

Its not always required to FCC a file, say in the case of sending the same file from the source system to another system.