cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Dialog/Application servers not linking to existing app servers

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have installed two new SUSE Linux (SLES9) dialog/app servers on our R/3 4.7 Enterprise system (Oracle 9.2.0.6, Solaris 8, Basis 6.20, Kernel 6.40), which already has four Solaris dialog servers.

Our problem is that whenever one of the old servers assigns a background job to one of the new dialog servers, the connection is not made, and the job does not execute.

If I sign into one of the new dialog servers and execute SM51, if I then double-click on one of the old dialog servers, nothing happens, indicating that a link between the servers does not exist or is broken. If I double-click to the database server/central instance, I can access it. The same situation applies between the new dialog servers -- they can both communicate to the central instance, but not to each other or the older servers.

It appears that there is some kind of link that is not being made between the new dialog servers and the older servers, although I can link between any of the older servers. This probably explains why a batch job dispatched from an older app server to a new one does not get through, because there a link between them is missing. As far as we can tell, the installations of these servers was done correctly and according to the preparation and installation guides.

I would very much appreciate any ideas as to what might be missing regarding post-installation activities, such as control file entries etc. I am relatively new to Basis admin, so it's quite possible that I have missed something fundamental, and any pointers or suggestions, no matter how basic, would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance,

Mervyn

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mervyn,

Communication between Application servers established via Message Service runs on a central instance. So I don't think any links have to be configured between two applic. servers. Just to start with I would take a look at the SMLG, SMMS, double-check if new application servers have enough background processes defined. Also check your /etc/services files on all instances.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mike,

Thanks so much for the tips. SMLG and SMMS were correct, but the Linux /etc/services file as delivered had some ports assigned that were incorrect for our system, and were missing some assignments that we needed.

We have just synced up the Unix /etc/services with the Linux files, and everything now appears to be working well.

Thanks again, you have helped us eliminate a major system headache.

Mervyn

Answers (0)