cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ECR creation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Everybody,

I am learning Engineering Change Management. I have some doubts while going through it. After configuration while changing a object we need to enter the change number in the related object change screen itself. I understood it is Change Master Record. After entering the Change Master Record number while editing the object, whether system will create a ECR itself or once again we need to create ECR in the trx code CC01. I hope there should be possibility to create a automatic ECR creation while changing the Object. I am not sure but i think it is also through Business Workflow is possible. Is my undrastaning about the Engineering Change Management is correct or not.

Any suggestions are apprecisted..

Thanks,

Rajesh.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rajesh,

Just to clarify... technically change master and ECR are two different functionalities. Notice the radio buttion for 'Change Master' and 'ECR' in CC01. In simple words, ECR / ECO is more strctured and controlled change process compared to 'Change Master'. For more details,

<a href="http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp2004/helpdata/en/d8/7322804b7511d1894b0000e8323c4f/frameset.htm">http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp2004/helpdata/en/d8/7322804b7511d1894b0000e8323c4f/frameset.htm</a>

See Comparison: Change Master Record - ECR / ECO table.

Coming back to your question... you need to create change master / ECR before you start making changes. You can start making changes using change master once it is created, whereas ECR must be converted to ECO before you can change any object using it.

You may want to explore special features for object management records. Currently, object management reocrds are supported for following object types.

BOMs

Task lists

Documents

Materials

Thanks,

Pranav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot for your response !! I have one more doubt. Can we create the ECR independent of change master record. In what situations we need to create a ECR under CMR. As far as i understand from the help it is in the case of logical grouping of the change requests. what is the difference by creating a Lead CMR and adding ECRs under that, and creating ECRs directly without any reference.

I hope this explanation gives idea to give solution to my problem.

Thanks,

Rajesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

As I mentioned earlier, ECR and change master are two different functionalities. You can use either of them independently.

The change hierarchy enables you to make complex changes to several objects with reference to several change numbers and group these complementary changes together for management purposes. Changes that are made with reference to a change hierarchy has to be released using a Release Procedure. This regulated release procedure ensures that the changes are activated in the operative areas in a controlled, step-by-step way.

In my experience, I have seen people using ECRs for day-to-day changes, whereas change hierarchy is used to manage changes during a long-term project. For example, in software industry, you create ECRs for small changes / bug fixes in you current software version i.e. couple of ECRs every month. Just for better understanding, compare it with windows xp monthly bug fixes, one ECR for each bug fix. Typically you create the ECR, make changes and release them in short period of time, say within 30 days. If you decide to start a project to introduce a major upgrade to your current software version, you may use a change hierarchy. A lead change master is created for the project and then multiple Change packages are created for each change and linked to lead change master. Again, just for better understanding, compare it with xp service pack release. You create a lead change master for the whole service pack, then you create change packages for each change / bug fix and link it to lead change master. Creating the lead change master, making changes using packages and release them may take 2-3 years. Please note that the time lines 30 days or 2-3 days are examples only. It may vary considerably for different companies based on their change process.

Thanks,

Pranav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pranav,

Your explanation is very much useful!!!!!!

Thanks,

Rajesh

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

got enough explanation

Thanks,

Rajesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

The change master record is a master record that contains information necessary for the management and control of changes.

The change master record contains data of a descriptive character (such as the reason for the change) and control data (such as effectivity data, object type indicators). Besides this data that the user maintains, there is also data that is automatically updated by the system (management data).

The most important change master record data is grouped as follows:

• Change header (description, effectivity data, status information)

• Object type indicators (for example, BOMs, task lists, documents)

• Object overviews for the different object types

• Detail screens for the different objects (object management records)

Exactly which data is maintained depends on the function that the change master record adopts in the change process. For example, you do not need to maintain object type indicators for a change master record that has been created with the Leading change master record function.

You can control the progress of changes with an engineering change request (ECR) or an engineering change order (ECO).

An engineering change request is a change master record with reference to a change type. Since processing change objects with an ECR/ECO enables you to control changes in a more precise way, you cannot create a change request with the Change leader (Leading change master record)

Comparison: Change Master Record - ECR / ECO

Data to be maintained Change Master Record ECR / ECO

Change type - X

Internal system status - X

User status X X

Object management records X X

Generating object X -

Entering valid-from date immediately until ECR becomes ECO

Editing change objects immediately ECR must be converted to ECO

Digital signature - X

Enjoy SAP….

Don’t forget to give point if useful ans.

Namskar,

Ketan Dave