cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP and VMWare

Former Member
0 Kudos

I've been told that SAP doesn't support VMWare on WINTEL for production systems. Since SQL Server 2005 is certified on VMWare , I want to partition a quad core WINTEL box using VMWare and place SQL server instances for ISU, BI, SCM, CRM, XI and Trex on it. I'll move all the corresponding CI's to another WINTEL server that won't have VMWare on it. Now I assume SAP instances and CI's will access corresponding individual DB's like any other DB client.

I'm not putting SAP modules/instances on VMWare but only DB's reside on VMWare box. Do you see any issues with my approach?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys:

I understood that SAP doesn't recommend nor support VMWARE for Windows installation, especially with the PROD environment. There are ton of sites have implemented SAP / WinIntel on VMWARE for their Non-PROD systems. With the latest vi 3.x this thing kick-xxx.

Furthermore, I would like to know if anyone have any experience with Clustering the SAP / Win-Intel on VMWARE. I am currently installing such environment, but kept failing when performing the MSCS Node A configuration...or the furthest is when on Node B, but it stated can't switch the SAP System to Node B.

Any experience would be appreciated.

Regards,

Franc Nguyen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Matt

I have read the thread you mentioned above and also Note 674851.

My question is as follows: If I use VMWare ESX Server 3.0 for DEV and QA on a single machine, and Production is on another machine (without VMWare), can I still transport from one DEV to QA to PROD as per normal?

Thanks in advance.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prabhinder,

Please consider again about using VMWare on your productive system since SAP is not supporting those environment. You can use VMWare on your development or QA system.

Hope that can help.

ardhian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pradhinder,

There was a pretty good discussion about VMWare in this .

Best Regards,

Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Matt,

The VMWare discussion thread was informative but it didn't answer my question. I'm proposing a work around the SAP/VMWare restriction. I need opinion on the work around.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prabhinder,

I, and others, stated our opinions in the thread. Personally, I do not think your workaround changes my opinion. As I stated in the thread, it is my personal opinion that VMWare on Windows should not be used for productive systems (it is too risky).

I do not know if the performance degradation with VMWare applies to your workaround, but it is possible and likely.

SAP places restrictions in place for very valid reasons, and shortcuts through workarounds are generally not recommended.

Best Regards,

Matt