cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Central instance

Former Member
0 Kudos

1. If I install multiple SAP products like EP, APO, CRM, ECC will I have a separate CI Instance for each product.

2. How do users connect to individual product? DO they connect thru EP? Is EP same as application server?

3. How do I configure an application server to work with CI fro a particular product?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Prabhinder,

Here are the answers:

1. If I install multiple SAP products like EP, APO, CRM, ECC will I have a separate CI Instance for each product.

Yes by and large they will have seperate CIs. But of course if we talk of EP as such we can host an EP for CRM or ECC as well. In that case EP wont need a seperate CI.

2. How do users connect to individual product? DO they connect thru EP? Is EP same as application server?

Depends on choice. If EP is available you can connect through it otherwise you always have the option of connecting through SAP GUI (provided ABAP AS is installed)

3. How do I configure an application server to work with CI fro a particular product?

I guess by application server you mean dialog instance. While setting up dialog instance you will be asked details like SID. If you give the details correctly SAP will automatically configure a link between your CI and DI.

Please award points if the answers were useful.

Regards.

Ruchit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

well, I need to install APO, CRM, ISU, BI, TREX, XI for my project on WINTEL servers. I want to provide HTTPS access to various SAP products. Therefore, I assume that there will be single EP for all these products and this single EP will have a single CI. I further assume that there won't be any CI's for individual products. AM I correct? Will this assumtion hold true for both 2-tier and 3-tier architecture?

Can I see a reference SAP architetcure in 2-Tier and 3-Tier where multiple SAP products are being used on WINTEL?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prabhinder,

This is not correct.

Each and every SAP system has its own central instance. The CI is distinguished from the other application servers in the system because it contains the enqueue server (for SAP locks) and the message server (for systemwide communication). So, each of APO, CRM, ISU (add-on to an ERP system), BI, PI (XI) and EP will have their own CI. TREX is not a system in itself, but a standalone engine that works with SAP systems, and it will not have a CI.

HTTP access can be configured through the Internet Communication Manager (ICM) OR it can also be provided by a Portal. You could have a single Portal for all of the systems, or each system could have its own Portal (which then brings Federated Portal scenarios into play).

The DB/OS combination is abstracted and does not make any difference to the architecture.

I recommend browsing through http://help.sap.com. Specifically you can begin by checking out the "Architecture of the SAP NetWeaver Application Server" at SAP NetWeaver 2004s -> SAP NetWeaver Library -> SAP NetWeaver by Key Capability -> Application Platform by Key Capability -> Platform-Wide Services -> Architecture of the SAP NetWeaver Application Server.

Best Regards,

Matt

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

not yet

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

Couple of clarifications though. If I set up ECC with AS ABAP and AS JAVA then i can host EP for it. In that I dont think we need to install CI for EP seperately. It will be kind of add on only. Please correct me if I am wrong and let me know the details.

Also I have done a test kind of installation in Netweaver 04s where we had the same CI for BW and EP and it worked fine.

In my opinion as long you have JAVA stack you dont need seperate CI for EP.So if your ECC has Java then EP can be hosted on same CI.

Please clarify these points.

Regards.

Ruchit.

Message was edited by:

Ruchit Khushu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ruchit,

In ABAPJava installations there is a message server and enqueue server for the ABAP stack AND a message server and enqueue server for the Java stack. Within the ABAP stack, these are special work processes and the instance they reside in is referred to as the Central Instance (CI). Within the Java stack, they require a special instance where they reside on their own referred to as the SAP Central Services (SCS) instance. In an ABAPJava installation, the ABAP CI and Java SCS usually are all in the same instance, which is what you are referring to (they are not installed separately), but in a pure technical sense, there are two. It would all be a single SID.

In a single SID you can install both ABAP and Java and then have EP in the Java stack. Alternatively, EP could also be installed in its own system (separate SID).

It is also now possible to create an ABAP SCS (ASCS) that consists of just the message server and enqueue server (and no other processes). This is usually done in High Availability setups. You could then also combine it with the Java SCS in its own failover group separate from the other app servers. However, it would all still be a single SID and a CI/ASCS/SCS can only work with one SID.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the info. You are right. From a simpler perspective while CI and SCS look like one but yes from purely technical perspective they are actually 2 seperate instances. Thanks for reminding me the basics again.

Regards.

Ruchit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

1. Can CI and DI co-exist on a physical server?

2. Can I put CI's for ISU, CRM, SCM, BI on a single physical wintel server?

3. Do internet/intranet users connect through logon groups?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prabhinder,

1. Yes. Be sure that the server has enough resources, though.

2. Yes. Same warning about resources.

3. Yes, they can if configured correctly. See the help on the SAP Web Dispatcher: http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/5a/3bee11b93b440bb1d8bc4473e82528/frameset.htm.

Best Regards,

Matt