cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I install multiple SAP modules on same physical WINTEL server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can someone tell me if it's ok to install instances of different SAP modules like SCM, CRM , EP on same physical WINTEL server for Production without using VMWare? We want to run multiple modules on a box and then cluster them across another box for HA. We are not expecting heavy load.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sure. There is no restriction to have multiple SAP instances on a Win/Intel box, just like AIX, HPUX, or any hardware platform. The things that you must look at are CPU and RAM, and ofcourse disk storage.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well, I understand I can have multiple instances on the same physical server but can those instances be of different modules. Can I have CRM, SCM and ECC instances all co located on same physical server for Production use.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes. its possible with MCod technology.

But it s not recommendable for production systems. because if you install multiple SAP systems on one physical system..it leads to performance issues.

my personal experience :at the time of SAP upgrade, we maintained 2 SAP production systems on same physical system for few days. We faced lot of performance issues and file system issues.

Thanks,

Praveen.

Former Member
0 Kudos

With MCOD, all of the instances would be in the same database. This is ok, but you are then "restricted" in a lifecycle managment sense (i.e. upgrades) that the database version has to be compatible with all of the application versions running in it.

It is also technically possible to have them as complete separate instances -- each with their own database -- on the same physical server. As mentioned before, though, you will have to ensure that the server has enough horsepower. Perform sizing for <i>each</i> application running on the server, and then aggregate them. You may indeed find it is cheaper to have several smaller servers for such a setup, instead of one large one. You will then also avoid the performance "challenges" of having several applications on one server.

Best Regards,

Matt